Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I could use a little help getting my Debian Lenny configured for network. I have manually configured with a fixed IP. I looked in etc/network/interfaces and everything seems to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Newbie problems connecting via wireless

Hi

I could use a little help getting my Debian Lenny configured for network. I have manually configured with a fixed IP. I looked in etc/network/interfaces and everything seems to be in order.

I'm behind a wireless modem. I know tcp/ip is not working because I csan't ping the default gateway.

Thanks
    Fred files

p.s. I have no way to transfer files between machines, which is why I haven't run the diagnostics script in the first thread. I'm hoping a Q&A approach will work for you.

p.s.s. I was able to connect to the neighbors unsecured wireless network no problem
    Last edited by fguy64; 05-17-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by fguy64 View Post
    Hi

I could use a little help getting my Debian Lenny configured for network. I have manually configured with a fixed IP. I looked in etc/network/interfaces and everything seems to be in order.

I'm behind a wireless modem. I know tcp/ip is not working because I csan't ping the default gateway.

Thanks
    Fred files

p.s. I have no way to transfer files between machines, which is why I haven't run the diagnostics script in the first thread. I'm hoping a Q&A approach will work for you.

p.s.s. I was able to connect to the neighbors unsecured wireless network no problem
    If you can connect to the neighbor then TCP/IP is working. Can you get online wired to the modem? I would change the IP configuration to DHCP to make sure you can connect to your modem. Then pick a static IP. When you do make sure the IP address is in range the modem knows, the subnet mask is correct and the default gateway is set correctly.

online wired is not an option as I don't have physical access to the modem. My linux box can't find DHCP on our network but it can find it on the neighbor's. DHCP does work with my laptop which is running windows.

Quote Originally Posted by ktech11 View Post
    If you can connect to the neighbor then TCP/IP is working. Can you get online wired to the modem? I would change the IP configuration to DHCP to make sure you can connect to your modem. Then pick a static IP. When you do make sure the IP address is in range the modem knows, the subnet mask is correct and the default gateway is set correctly.
    Last edited by fguy64; 05-23-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by fguy64 View Post
    online wired is not an option as I don't have physical access to the modem. My linux box can't find DHCP on our network but it can find it on the neighbor's. DHCP does work with my laptop which is running windows.
    Is the modem setup with MAC address filtering or is there other such lock down on the modem. Long story short, there isn't anything wrong with your install if you can connect no problem to another network. It is most likely a security setting on the modem you are attempting access.