Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys! Can someone please point me to a step by step tutorial or share on how I can use a second router to expand my wireless hotspot at home. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Configuring Two Routers for Wider Coverage Wirelssly?

Hi Guys!

Can someone please point me to a step by step tutorial or share on how I can use a second router to expand my wireless hotspot at home.

Someone gave me an old router and I just realize that it is possible to connect both and use it as a second router but I can't seem to find a tutorial how to do it wirelessly instead of using an ethernet cable.

Thanks a mucho!

nujinini
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Get a wifi repeater. they're pretty cheap and can usually be configured to run as a simple signal repeater or they can turn an ethernet feed into a wifi signal. The repeater should have more detailed instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by ltnemo2000 View Post
    Get a wifi repeater. they're pretty cheap and can usually be configured to run as a simple signal repeater or they can turn an ethernet feed into a wifi signal. The repeater should have more detailed instructions.
    Thanks for the suggestion Itnemo2000!

The reason why I was trying to use aother router is because I already have an extra one given by a friend and it's just sitting in the cabinet.

I found some guides on how to configure routers but they use ethernet cables. I would rather use wireless. Aside from the money I will save, I would be learning some thing new too.

regards,

nujinini
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I've never actually set up a network in that fashion, but it really does depend on the hardware capabilities of the routers.
    Both routers have to support WDS for it to work.

Failing that, an ethernet cord or a repeater is needed.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

It depends on the router , some have the repeater capabilty buit-in, some don't, Other than look at that model documentation is to enter at the web setup and look for something like "Mode", an old linksys I use to have had "Router/bridge/repeater". Check in both of you routers, you only need one as a repeater and the other would be the base router