Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I would like my laptop to connect to any open wifi as I drive to and from work with out any intervention. I would like to do this via ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cool Auto connect to any ESSID

Hello,

I would like my laptop to connect to any open wifi as I drive to and from work with out any intervention.
    I would like to do this via command line since I don't run a desktop on this machine.

I have configured my wifi with the "any" keyword via:

iwconfig wlan0 essid any

... in the hopes that it will connect to any open wifi not using wep or wpa but it does not connect.

can this be done?

I am using BackTrack 5 R2 live CD

Trusted Penguin
    what wireless network are you trying to connect to that does not have encryption enabled? Panera? Ramada Inn?

In order to get onto a wireless network, you need to do more than just associate with the ESSID. You also need the proper IP settings (IP address, default gateway, and possibly DNS servers). Usually these are dished out to you when you (successfully) connect to a wireless AP, but not necessarily. They may be controlling access somehow (like MAC-filtering, e.g.), even if they are not encrypting.

And even if you did successfully associate with an ESSID at a so-called Wi-Fi HotSpot, they usually require you to point a browser to their local webpage and press some sort of button, acknowledging terms of use, etc. before you are granted access to the network (given IP settings, etc.).

Just Joined!
    Thanks Atreyu ... but I am already aware of the other issues you mentioned.

My imediate issue is that the "any" keyword does not seem to work.
    If I enter my test wifi router's ESSID ... I connect no problem.
    but I have read on man pages and postings that the any keyword will connect to any essid hidden or otherwise ... as you roam ... but it does not work.

is this true or not and what config have I missed if it is true.

Thanks.

Well, without some pretty good explanations coming for the OP pretty quickly I'd say a mod should lock this thread. I can think of some pretty nefarious scenarios that involve attaching BackTrack to any open connection it can find.

Just Joined!
    Steven are you serious?
    I know all sorts of people who use backtrack for legitimate activities.
    Troll some where else please.

I'll state my question again to everyone else other than Steven.

As to the any keyword ... does it work or not?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by someguydude View Post
    Steven are you serious?
    I know all sorts of people who use backtrack for legitimate activities.
    Absolutely. So please explain to us your benign reason for wanting to be able to to rapidily conect to (hack/hack through) mutliple open connections across a wide ranging geographic area. Because the first thought that comes to my mind involves you being able to avoid having your geolocation pinpointed. Coupled with a little randomly rotating MAC spoofing and this could be used to build a rather nasty little tool.

Just Joined!
    using free wifi as I drive to work ??

no ... that can't be it ... I must be evil ... I will turn myself in to the FBI asap.

I now see the error of my ways.

(opps I fed the Troll).

So if it's something cool and spiffy then what's the secret? Maybe I or some other folks or here would want to try it if it's all that great? And why use a tool kit for the connection instead of just regular ol' *.nix if you just want to veg on reruns of Buffy the Vampire Slayer while driving to work? (Which you shouldn't be doing any way.)

------------
    Edit:

And not just a tool kit. But a tool kit run from live CD so as to leave no traces on your system.

------------

And with running no desk top you're reserving those system resources for a lot of crunching of some kind; maybe multithreaded port sniffing? And running only in RAM is going to bog your music down to the point that you'd be better off listening to an LP as you drove down the road.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 07-27-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: 2nd & 3rd thought

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by someguydude View Post
    Thanks Atreyu ... but I am already aware of the other issues you mentioned.

My imediate issue is that the "any" keyword does not seem to work.
    If I enter my test wifi router's ESSID ... I connect no problem.
    but I have read on man pages and postings that the any keyword will connect to any essid hidden or otherwise ... as you roam ... but it does not work.

is this true or not and what config have I missed if it is true.

Thanks.
    i've never tried to use the "any" keyword before, but you can just scan the air waves and get a list of ESSIDs. then do something with that list. here's a simple example:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    essids=$(iwlist wlan0 scanning|awk -F: '/ESSID/{print $2}'|sed -e 's|"||g')
    for essid in $essids; do
      echo "do something not unethical with ESSID $essid"
    done
    btw, i don't condone wifi thievery of any kind. also, keep two hands on the wheel!

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    i don't condone wifi thievery of any kind. also, keep two hands on the wheel!
    atreyu I've read you're posts. You seem to be a pretty on the ball individual. You've even answered a couple of my posts and I appreciate the info. But I think you missed some potential tell tale signs on this one.

In addition to everything I mentioned above you raised a cogent point: "Public" wifi almost always requires a browser interaction, which this user specifically stated they wanted to bypass.

I only know of one type of network where that is possible: The unsecured network.

This user also heavily implied that they want everything to happen *automagically*, with no interaction of any kind; unlike the solution you provided.

I can think of a lot of really, really bad uses for a machine that meets their specs.

This would basically be an automated ripper. Map the city. Map a big selection of unsecured networks.

To an extent my skills are limited to what the wizard is doing in front of the GUI. Even with that being the case I have no doubt I could crack 25-50% of the wifi networks within a mile of my apartment in one evening with this tool just by driving around simply because most people don't know how to set the things up.

Accumultate a huge, citywide, "network" in a large metropolitian area and go for a drive. It would be as next to impossible as possible for law enforcement to pinpoint your location: "They're some where in Manhattan". Start combining that with a nice liitle program to randomly spoof your MAC and random chained pathway proxies and it becomes: "They're somewhere in the new england states". Add automated attack tools like the ones in BackTrack to the mix and it just gets worse. Add mulitple cars and drivers (since an auotmagic machine requires *ZERO* skill) and things start to get rather nefarious!

I could keep going. And nothing I've said is unrealistic. Maybe paranoid, but not unrealistic.

Maybe I'm over reacting and this tool has a legit use?

But I don't see it.

I just think the OP should explain it's legit use before anybody helps them build it.

Edit
    -----------

And if this is on the up and up then why not ask in the BackTrack forums? Nobody knows their distro better.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 07-28-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast