Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, Ive been trying to coneect wirelessly on my laptop for a few days but Im just unable to do it. Im completely new to Linux and Im not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Please help, Im desperate

Hi everyone,
    Ive been trying to coneect wirelessly on my laptop for a few days but Im just unable to do it. Im completely new to Linux and Im not a computer expert. Thats why I kindly ask you to help me solve this problem and answer in such a way I can understand. Thanks.
    So, as soon as i reastart my laptop with a Linux cd in, the little light indicating wireless connection disappears and i cant see any wireless networks. It says it need windows drivers in order to work. Now, ive read like a thousand manuals on how to fix this but im sooooooo confused! Each one of them is completely different and i have absolutely no idea what should I do. Should i find out what my chipset is? Install some program? Get the inf file from my computer or download the driver from the internet? Should i write those incredibly complicated command lines? Please, just suggest the order of things i should do to be able to connect. Im really lost in the tons of various manuals and suggestions and cant decide what i need to do. You dont have to explain things in detail (i would be very grateful, though), i just need a step-by step guide of things that need to be done and i can find more detailed manuals for that on google. Now, ive got like milion manuals, i just dont know which one to use
    Ive got Windows 7 on Asus K55V (a new laptop) and the linux distribution on CD is a version of Ubuntu in my language, the version is called Greenie. When i have windows on that computer, it works normally, so i guess the internet signal is fine.
    Thank you so much for your reply!

First step is to install Greenie. Probably the easiest way to do that is to install it with Wubi, which will install Greenie alongside Windows 7 without harming it. I'm not sure how that is done in Greenie. In standard editions of Ubuntu you click on the "Install Ubuntu" button and then a page comes up with installation options. One of them is to install Ubuntu alongside the existing operating system, and you select that.

We need to know what wireless device is in your notebook so we can see about getting a driver for it. From Greenie, open Terminal and type in "lspci". Study the output from that command and let us know what it says about your wireless device.

Linux Engineer
    I suggest picking a different distro.

See this link. Post the relevant info and see how it shakes out. Welcome to the forums, by the way.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your replies

i wrote the lspci command and this is what i got
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Device 0154 (rev 09)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 0151 (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 0166 (rev 09)
    00:14.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Device 1e31 (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Device 1e3a (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Device 1e2d (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 1e20 (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 1e10 (rev c4)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 1e12 (rev c4)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 1e16 (rev c4)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Device 1e26 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device 1e59 (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Device 1e03 (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Device 1e22 (rev 04)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1058 (rev a1)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 0887 (rev c4)
    04:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 5289 (rev 01)
    04:00.2 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 0a)
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ^C
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

I couldnt find wifi there. So i switched back to Windows and managed to find the name there. It should be Intel Centrino Wireless N 2230 A few days ago, somehow i got a different window where it said that this driver only works for windows.
    So how can i install the driver and make it work?
    Have a nice day

Linux Guru
    If you get a wireless card you will usually get a CD with drivers which are designed specifically for windows systems. They won't work on Linux. Google or use whatever search engine "centrino Wireless N 2230 for Linux" and you will find a number of sites like the one below:

Support for the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230

I found two Linux drivers for your wireless at Intel® Wireless WiFi Link drivers for Linux*, but in order to determine which one you should be using we need to find out which Linux kernel Greenie uses. In Terminal, type:

Code:
    uname -r

Just Joined!
    Thank you so much!
    it says:
    2.6.35-22-generic

can i use Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 (2.6.35) than? or do i need to use a driver with completely same name?

Your Intel Centrino wireless device would use the iwlwifi driver. It is included in Linux kernels 2.6.24 and higher, so I think we can safely say the driver is already in Greenie. However, looking at post #5 (where you ran "lspci"), it looks like the kernel is not recognizing your wireless device.

It may be that the N 6205 was not included in kernel 2.6.35-22, but it may be included in later kernels. The kernel presently used in regular Ubuntu distributions is 3.2.0-29. So what I recommend you do is to go ahead and install Greenie alongside Windows 7 using the Wubi installer. Then run the Update Manager and get all of your software and your kernel updated. After that your wireless might work without any trouble. I found a report that it is supported out of the box on kernel 2.6.37 and newer.

By the way, if you are hesitant about using Wubi, don't be. A Wubi installation can be easily removed in "Programs and Features" in Windows 7.
    Last edited by hagfish52; 08-23-2012 at 10:41 PM.