Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by T86158 As far as dmesg | grep firmware, I have that posted in the original post. <facepalm> Completely missed it... But the link that Mike posted is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by T86158 View Post
    As far as dmesg | grep firmware, I have that posted in the original post.
    <facepalm>
    Completely missed it...
    But the link that Mike posted is active again. Try the steps there.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by T86158 View Post
    Yes, you might be seeing two interfaces. I connected my external usb wifi adapter to my laptop prior to boot-up. It works but I would like to use the built-in wifi adapter on the laptop so that my desktop can use the external usb one. I'll go ahead and isolate the interfaces with the codes you posted. As far as dmesg | grep firmware, I have that posted in the original post.
    Did you follow the link I posted and install the firmware? You more than likely will need to do that first.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Okay, I have not installed Linux Mint 11 yet on my laptop yet. I am running a demo from a CD because I read somewhere to partition the drive when installing the OS but I need to do more research into that before doing a full installation. Is there a way to download that file and load it from USB (both Linux Mint and the hardware)?

I went back to the site and executed this script:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
    Fortunately my built-in wifi works. Bad news is I do not know if it is conflicting with my external usb wifi or if the built-in one's firmware is as efficient. I have both running right now. Webpages are taking significantly longer to load now than before. It is kind of cool to see my laptop blinking lights that it never did in Windows XP (the light that corresponds to the wifi and bluetooth indicator being on/off).

I will try turning off one of the wifi lan's again. I tried turning off wlan1 earlier with terminal and it turned itself back on automatically.

Having both interfaces active will, indeed, cause issues in download speed.
    Best steps...
    1. Partition drive
    2. Install Mint
    3. Install firmware using previous steps.
    4. Reboot without USB adapter.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, jayd512. I will need to read and research more into a good partitioning strategy for my first install. I guess that is my next important step towards becoming a Linux convert. There is a sticky posted on the Linux Mint forums but the author does not provide very many numbers, so it leaves me to guess how much room I should leave for each partition and what type of partition, etc.

Anyways, thank you guys for the help on the wifi part. I will have to reference this again once I get my full install
    Last edited by T86158; 10-09-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Mint Linux => Linux Mint

A good starting point for partition sizes would be the following:
    • About 10 GB for /
    • About 20 or 25 GB for /home
    • Depending on RAM in your system, maybe 1 or 2 GB for /swap

These are just a few numbers for you if setting up a dual-boot system as a new Linux user.
    Hope that helps.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    I've read that you want to have your /swap partition equal to or twice the size of your RAM for hibernation but have not found a reason for this. I have 2G RAM.

Do you know of some helpful sites that provide procedures on partitioning drives?

The rule of equal or double RAM is an outdated idea these days. It's from the times when a computer might have somewhere between 128 to 512 MB RAM.
    I've ran computers with 2 GB RAM and had no SWAP partition at all.
    A swap partition of 1 or 2 GB would probably do you well enough.

A great partitioning tool is Parted Magic. Intuitive GUI interface, very easy to use.
    Last edited by jayd512; 10-23-2012 at 08:07 PM.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Take a suggestion from the company from where you buy that. They will check and do settings as according.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2