Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I have been offered the chance to use a 4G service for my internet access. I currently run a 3G modem so my question is about the protocol ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

3G/4G Wireless modems

Hello all,

I have been offered the chance to use a 4G service for my internet access.

I currently run a 3G modem so my question is about the protocol inboard of the modem. That is, whilst the protocol from the modem to the wireless network is different, are there any changes to the way the modem is handled by the relevant driver and by any software's inteaction between itself and the driver?

Cheers - VP

Just Joined!
    As far as I know the 4G protocols are not backward compatible. What will happen is that 4G antenna's will be paced extra on the mobile communication masts. In order to give connectivity to 3G and older devices, the 'old' antenna's will remain active until the provider decides to shut them down.

You will need a 4G (LTE or WiMax, depending of the choice of your provider) modem to be able to communicate over 4G. If you keep your current modem, the offer of your provider is worthless since you will only be able to use 3G.

Linux Newbie
    Khildin,

Thanks for the reply but...

I know that the 4G stack on the internet side is different and I know that a new modem is required. However, that is not my question.

My question is about how the modem is handled by the computer.

Back in the day, I ran a network over an ISDN connection carrying "raw" IP. My IP-based clients and servers did not have to know anything about how those connections were maintained and neither did the the driver of the modem. Only the stuff that interacted between my stuff and the driver had to know if I was running raw IP or if I was tunnelling it within the PPP packets.

So, apart from an appropriate driver, is there anything else I need to worry about? Just trying to get a heads-up about it all. I could just suck it and see as they say.

Cheers - VP

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    But 4G protocols are not backward compatible. I think its useless for you.