Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am looking for a tool to monitor my wifi network. I want to see everyone that is on my network. I am using a Linksys E1000 wireless modem, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I am looking for a tool to monitor my wifi network.

I am looking for a tool to monitor my wifi network. I want to see everyone that is on my network. I am using a Linksys E1000 wireless modem, and want to see if anyone is accessing the network.
    Thanks,
    Cygnis1

Greetings,

Quick question: Are you using the factory-set firmware in the modem, or have you flashed it with DD-WRT or OpenWRT?

I know that if it is controlling a WAP, DD-WRT keeps an active monitor on the wireless network by default. And, I know that DD-WRT supports the different versions of the Linksys E1000.

At that point, you would have a simple webpage to look at who is on your wireless network.

HTH. Let us know.

Just Joined!
    I am using the factory-set firmware, and do not think I want to flash the modem. Is there something else I can use?

Well,

No application that I am aware of that does exactly that, but several applications give you the pieces to put it together yourself, like wifiscanner and/or wireshark.

On the other hand, if you are industrious, you could write one.

HTH.

Just Joined!
    factory-set firmware is the best in your case.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnis1 View Post
    I am looking for a tool to monitor my wifi network. I want to see everyone that is on my network. I am using a Linksys E1000 wireless modem, and want to see if anyone is accessing the network.
    Hi,

Have you check the Linksys's built-in webserver for logging capabilities? At the very least, it should be logging attempts to associate w/your network. You should see MAC addresses of those trying to connect. If you are lucky, your modem will support something called rsyslog (it may not call it that, though). What you can do w/that is tell it to send its log to a Linux server of your choice (by ip address) and the router's syslog will be forwarded there, provided that the Linux box is configured for rsyslog. All this just makes it easier for you to parse the log, instead of just reading it in a browser.

And even if it doesn't support rsyslog, you might be able to wget the log output, if you can pass your authentication to the modem's browser page, and can pass it the right URL to get the log output (chancy at best).

Wireshark network analyser, its a handy tool.