Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, i am a new user to linux environment.I bought a new laptop Lenovo Z580 and it is dual booted with windows 7 and fedora 12.I am unable to connect ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question connection to wireless not possible

Hi,
    i am a new user to linux environment.I bought a new laptop Lenovo Z580 and it is dual booted with windows 7 and fedora 12.I am unable to connect to wireless network.I tried using network manager.but the applet on the top which shows all the available connections does not have wireless option itself.in administration i do not have any network interface ..what should i do.PLease help.i have installed linux for the first time to learn

Hello and Welcome!

Fedora 12 is no longer supported. It would be in your best interest to install a newer version. Fedora 18 is the most recent release. It went live just a few days ago, so it might detect and configure your wireless card automatically.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Jay for helping me im downloading the Fedora 18 will try to figure it out.If problem still persists then i shall repost

If your wireless doesn't pick up with Fedora 18, take a look through this page, and post back here with all of the requested information.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Also, depending upon the wireless chip set the Lenovo uses, you may need to get a proprietary driver and possibly firmware. Check out Welcome - Linux Wireless for more information, links to drivers/firmware, and lots of very good instructions to get you running. It has saved my sanity on a number of occasions!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I haven't tried fedora but I have had problems setting up wireless drivers during installations when not connected by wire during the install process.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by benja22 View Post
    I haven't tried fedora but I have had problems setting up wireless drivers during installations when not connected by wire during the install process.
    That's a fairly common issue when your gear has wireless network chip sets that require proprietary drivers and/or firmware.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!