Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running Ubuntu 12.04LTS on my two laptops and my wife's laptop. So far the only issue I've had is when I installed it on my latest Dell 1521 with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Sometimes you must run a proprietary driver.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04LTS on my two laptops and my wife's laptop. So far the only issue I've had is when I installed it on my latest Dell 1521 with a Broadcom WiFi care. I ended up having to hook to my modem with a cable then in terminal I cut and past a command to download a proprietary Broadcom driver for the WiFi card that's in the laptop.
    At that point I hooked into the interweb and did all my Ubuntu updates via Terminal. Later that day I checked to see if any other drivers were installed and got a message telling me I was using a "Proprietary Driver" and that Ubuntu didn't support it. So, just for grins I uninstalled it and what do ya' know, my WiFi went down so I Activated it and BINGO, the WiFi wa back up. So, sometimes you just have to run a proprietary driver to get things done.

Just Joined!
    I have a Dell Studio 1737 with a Broadcom wireless N card (probably similar to yours). I've jumped through the hoops to get the open source drivers working, but it's never worth the hassle as this card doesn't even support monitor mode anyway. Like you said, the easiest thing to do is to plug into ethernet for 2 minutes and download the proprietary driver, as inconvenient as that is. Why don't they include this driver by default???

That's true, as many Dell laptops that there are with that Broadcom WiFi card in them you'd think that someone in the Open Source community would have come up with a driver for it. Until then I'll just use what I can to get online.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, just for grins I pulled the WiFi card out of my daughter's old HP D50 laptop and put it into the Dell. Well, no more propriatary driver needed, the "new" WiFi card runs off of the drivers supplied by Ubuntu 12.04LTS. I'm going to hang onto the old Broadcom WiFi card just in case but still, it's pretty cool swappin' out stuff so that it'll work right.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Broadcom has good drivers for Linux now. You can find links to them and instructions on Welcome - Linux Wireless - the best resource for Linux WiFi help, drivers, firmware, compatibility, etc.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Funny thing is that the HP/Compaq that my daughter had was from around 2005 so it's an older laptop, the Dell is from 2007 but the older Broadcom WiFi card from her old laptop runs like a champ with no need for proprietary drivers, the newer card did need them. My wife's Compaq CQ57(I think that's the model number) from 2007 also runs without a proprietary driver. I guess it just depends on which WiFi card the manufacture used in that build of laptops that week,LOL