Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running ubuntu 11.10 on an inspiron n5050. Bought a Linksys E800 router. I can connect to the network but I cant access the internet either wired or wireless. I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linksys E800 wireless router wont work with linux?

I'm running ubuntu 11.10 on an inspiron n5050. Bought a Linksys E800 router. I can connect to the network but I cant access the internet either wired or wireless. I'm assuming the router needs to be set up with the CD that comes with but if I try to run it with wine it fails and says my computer has no hardware for wireless. I know almost nothing about linux besides a few simple command line commands. Any help?

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by rmd30633 View Post
    I'm running ubuntu 11.10 on an inspiron n5050. Bought a Linksys E800 router. I can connect to the network but I cant access the internet either wired or wireless. I'm assuming the router needs to be set up with the CD that comes with but if I try to run it with wine it fails and says my computer has no hardware for wireless. I know almost nothing about linux besides a few simple command line commands. Any help?
    So you get your internal IP and can connect to the other boxes on your LAN? How does this E800 connect to the internet? Through some ADSL modem or something? Maybe you need to tell it your gateway address.

Try hitting 192.168.1.254 from one of the isolated PCs and you might get the router's admin page. You'll need some kind of password. You need to tell the E800 how to get out of the house through your ISP provided modem.