Find the answer to your Linux question:
I wonder if someone could give me a brief overview of what I need to do to get a USB/WiFi adapter I have working? My wife's laptop only has one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

What do I need to do to get a USB/WiFi Adapter working?

I wonder if someone could give me a brief overview of what I need to do to get a USB/WiFi adapter I have working? My wife's laptop only has one antenna wire connected to her internal WiFi Card and can't get reception in the family room where she'd like to surf the web. I have a USB/WiFi adapter that I bought for my daughters desktop computer but it doesn't work with it so I wanted to see if I could get it to work with my wife's laptop to give her more range.
    I know the internal card would probably be wlan0 so would the adapter be wlan1 and what would I need to do in order to transfer WiFi function over to it instead of the internal card? Thanks in advance.

Ok, been snoppin' a bit on the interweb and found some info that makes me think I can use "ifconfig wlan0 down" to kill wlan0 then use "ifconfig wlan1 up" to bring the USB adapter up so my wifi will run though it but I'd like confirmation first before I do something and bork my system

Yes.
    ifconfig wlan0 down will put the internal device down with no harm done.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

"ifconfig wlan0 down" did turn off my current wifi card but "ifconfig wlan1 up" did nothing to turn the USB adapter on. Probably a driver issue. Too bad the little CD they gave me won't autorun so I can install the drivers.

Ok, this is really odd. I shut wlan0 down, bring wlan1 up then connect to my network and both come back up, both have the "Disconnect" option(like both are working) so how can I tell if I'm running internal wlan0 or USB wlan1?

Just use
    Ifconfig
    It should tell you which is sending or receiving

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 4
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

or use

Code:
    $sudo ip addr show
    $sudo ip link show
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Ok, this is really odd. I shut wlan0 down, bring wlan1 up then connect to my network and both come back up, both have the "Disconnect" option(like both are working) so how can I tell if I'm running internal wlan0 or USB wlan1?
    Hi, given what you have written above, surely a simple matter of disconnecting the usb one with the software, and see if you are still connected, or if the internal one then has to re-connect. Or when connected, just pull the usb one out and see what happens!

When I pull the USB adapter out it disappears from ifconfig. Besides, I'm trying to get the USB adapter to be THE wifi connection and not the internal one. "ifconfig wlan0 down" only kills the internal wifi card up and until I connect to the interweb, at which point it comes back to life and connects. I'm sure it's a driver issue and since there's no autorun anymore the little CD they gave me isn't able to install drivers needed to make the dang USB wifi adapter work properly.