Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Thank-you so much for all your help DaemonDave. I plan to have wifi access on the weekend, and will attempt to run the commands we worked on here. The link ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thank-you so much for all your help DaemonDave.

I plan to have wifi access on the weekend, and will attempt to run the commands we worked on here.

The link for CentOS wpa_supplicant file modification is interesting. In your opinion, is this something I should do right off the top? Or should I try the things we've been doing here and if it fails to follow the CentOS wpa_supplicant instructions?

Please advise.

Again, thanks for all your patience.

Just Joined!
    Hi there;

Well here is my advice, if you want to know what works and what stops working, go through the procedure of starting kmod, wlan, and wpa_supplicant so you can see what is not working and why.

Then automate it with a script using the exact commands that worked in step by step commands. this will save you time down the road.

No problem, I am commited to helping you get this going, I know what it was like 10 years ago when I started Unix from Windows systems.

Cheers!

Dave

Just Joined!
    Well, we must have done something right. When I found myself inside a wifi zone everything was up and running. I didn't need to do anything with the wpa_supplicant.

Because of the age of my OS (RHEL 5.5) getting things to work has been a challenge. Firefox put up a fight at first, but I managed to get it working. Yum is particularly difficult since I don't have a subscription to RHN. I think I need to focus on re-directing repositories...?

Anyway, now the learning process begins. I couldn't have made it this far without your help. Thank-you. You've been a tremendous help.

I've been watching this thread from the sidelines... Great job on sticking with it! Many a new Linux user has turned away from using the command line to troubleshoot an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromunicator View Post
    Because of the age of my OS (RHEL 5.5) getting things to work has been a challenge. Firefox put up a fight at first, but I managed to get it working. Yum is particularly difficult since I don't have a subscription to RHN. I think I need to focus on re-directing repositories...?
    This page is a little dated, but should still get you pointed in the right direction: How to Update Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4 using CentOS Repos - Server Fault

CentOS is a clone of RHEL, so all of the packages in the online repository should work a treat for you. That being said, a fresh install is often recommended over an upgrade, as migrating from one version to another can result in an unbootable system.
    My advice would be to take careful note of everything that you did here, and try a newer version of CentOS. The most recent version is 6.4 and can be found here: Index of /centos/6.4/isos

In fact, a more recent release might just have everything needed to have your wireless working right out of the box.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the input Jay.

I'm glad to see this forum is full of friendly and helpful people. I work for a company that builds and supports servers with RHEL 5.5 as the OS. I have minimal experience with Fedora, but would like more experience using the OS I'm supporting. This is why it appears I'm forcing square blocks into round holes. I bought this laptop specifically to install RHEL 5.5, add whatever other software I could and if possible use this as my everyday machine. Getting the wifi running was the only obstacle that could have blocked me.

Now I have a new problem to solve, yum. Thanks for the link, I'll give that a try. If I run into trouble, I know now where to find help.

Here's a real gem for Fedora. I've used it many times: Personal Fedora 18 Installation Guide
    Pure gold there.
    It will help with some of your YUM questions.
    Other than that, if you choose to go with CentOS (I would) then any documentation you find regarding RHEL will work.
    Like I said, it's a binary clone. Only difference is lack of branding and support subscriptions.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Trusted Penguin
    and CentOS has released their 6.5 version, recently, so they've caught up to RHEL again...always good (for security, bugs, etc.)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4