Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
I'm a Linux n00b, and as for Windows, I am you're average joe. Not computer illiterate, but not exactly computer savvy. My problem is various distros won't connect to wifi. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

various distros won't connect to WiFi

I'm a Linux n00b, and as for Windows, I am you're average joe. Not computer illiterate, but not exactly computer savvy.

My problem is various distros won't connect to wifi.

On some versions of Ubuntu (newest for example), and a few other distros, the connection wizard/setup thing, will find the name of my network, allow me to select it, and connect, but ask me for my password, and then fail. On Ubuntu and Fedora, it just won't connect, as if the password is wrong.
    On Slacko-Puppy I get some feed back on the problem. I get “DHCP client failed to negotiate with wireless network 'mynetwork'”. I get that when choosing the SNS from Puppy.
    When using Frisbee from Puppy I get this error “WPA_Supplicant failed to connect”

Yet on some other distros it all works smoothly, such as Mint Cinnamon, Knoppix.
    Also, all distros are run from a USB Flash Drive.

My network card is ASUS PCE-N15 11n Wireless LAN PCI-E Card.

If this is a driver problem, I can just buy another wireless adapter. But I don't want to buy a different wireless adapter if that won't make any difference.

If you want me to perform any experiments for diagnostics and the advice or inquiry is distro specific, let's just go with Ubuntu 13.10 run from a flash drive, since that is my favorite flavor of Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by RB_Kandy View Post
    Yet on some other distros it all works smoothly, such as Mint Cinnamon, Knoppix.
    Also, all distros are run from a USB Flash Drive.
    If these work why not pick one and stick to to it until you get up to speed on Linux.
    rokytnji likes this.

Just Joined!
    Well, ever since I put in a second Nvidia GTX 660, Linux won't boot. I've asked on another forum if there is a simple fix for the Ubuntu and other distros not booting with two graphics cards, and got no answers. Google searches only come up with Linux not "utilizing" SLI.
    Only a few Distros will boot with both graphics cards. And wouldn't you know, what few distros I've found that will boot with both graphics cards, won't let me connect to WiFi.
    The only distro that will work with both graphics cards and connect to WiFi is Mint, but it does it with an error that no 3d hardware can be found, and the graphics are really bad, I mean like migraine inducing. So either I figure out how to make Linux boot with two graphics cards, or I find out how to make them all connect to WiFi. In a perfect world all or nearly all, would do both. I don't even care if a distro can actually utilize SLI, so long as it can boot and run off of one card, that would be fine. I figured if this was as simple as buying a USB wireless dongle for 10 or 20 bucks, that would be the simplest solution.
    Again, I need to point out, all distros that won't let me connect to my network, are at least talking to my wireless adapter enough to actually get the name of my network or SSID as I think it is called. So does that rule out a driver issue? Should I just dish out 20 bucks for another wireless adapter?

Ok. In Mint usb.

Code:
     inxi -F
    Code:
    sudo rfkill list
    Code:
    mintwifi
    Code:
    inxi -GN
    It's a nice day outside so I won't be back for awhile.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    But Mint WiFi works. It's the graphics that is defaulting to some sort of safe graphic mode (with or without two graphics cards). But at least it will boot with two graphics cards.

Just Joined!
    Well I tried another version of Mint. The graphics (with one card so far) works, but of course, now the WiFi on this version doesn't. I followed rokytnji's advice. I have no idea what any of those terminal comands mean, but it didn't allow me to connect to my network, it still asks like I am just entering the wrong password. And this is the log I get from the terminal when doing those comands:
    Code:
    mint@mint ~ $ inxi -F 
    System:    Host: mint Kernel: 3.11.0-12-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 16 Petra 
    Machine:   Mobo: ASRock model: Z77 OC Formula Bios: American Megatrends version: P1.40 date: 09/06/2012 
    CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-3770K CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
               Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz 3: 1600.00 MHz 4: 1600.00 MHz 5: 1600.00 MHz 6: 1600.00 MHz 7: 1600.00 MHz 8: 1600.00 MHz 
    Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK106 [GeForce GTX 660] 
               X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: intel,nouveau Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
               GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVE6 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.1 
    Audio:     Card-1: NVIDIA GK106 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: k3.11.0-12-generic 
               Card-2: Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel 
    Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetLink BCM57781 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3 
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: bc:5f:f4:72:c7:eb 
               Card-2: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter driver: rtl8192ce 
               IF: wlan0 state: down mac: 50:46:5d:ae:2e:b5 
               Card-3: Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter 
               IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A 
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 4888.6GB (3.1% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_840 size: 256.1GB 
               2: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD40EZRX size: 4000.8GB 3: id: /dev/sdc model: WDC_WD3000HLHX size: 300.1GB 
               4: id: /dev/sdd model: WDC_WD3000HLHX size: 300.1GB 5: USB id: /dev/sde model: MKNUFDVP32GB size: 31.6GB 
    Partition: ID: / size: 3.9G used: 53M (2%) fs: overlayfs 
    RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 42.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 35.0 
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
    Info:      Processes: 203 Uptime: 8 min Memory: 417.8/15926.5MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
    mint@mint ~ $ sudo rfkill list 
    0: phy0: Wireless LAN 
    	Soft blocked: no 
    	Hard blocked: no 
    mint@mint ~ $ mintwifi 
    ------------------------- 
    * I. scanning WIFI PCI devices... 
      -- Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev 01) 
          ==> PCI ID = 10ec:8178 (rev 01) 
    * II. querying ndiswrapper... 
    * III. querying iwconfig... 
    eth0      no wireless extensions. 

lo        no wireless extensions. 

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr:off 
              Power Management:off 

* IV. querying ifconfig... 
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr bc:5f:f4:72:c7:eb  
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1 
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B) 
              Interrupt:16 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0 
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host 
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1 
              RX packets:28 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 
              TX packets:28 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:2204 (2.2 KB)  TX bytes:2204 (2.2 KB) 

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 50:46:5d:ae:2e:b5  
              inet6 addr: fe80::5246:5dff:feae:2eb5/64 Scope:Link 
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1 
              RX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 
              TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:1808 (1.8 KB)  TX bytes:2512 (2.5 KB) 

* V. querying DHCP... 
    * VI. querying nslookup google.com... 
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached 

mint@mint ~ $ inxi -GN 
    Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK106 [GeForce GTX 660] 
               X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: intel,nouveau Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
               GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVE6 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.1 
    Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetLink BCM57781 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3 
               Card-2: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter driver: rtl8192ce 
               Card-3: Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter 
    mint@mint ~ $
    Some things here trouble me. My CPU clock is said to be running at 1600MHz. It's stock speed is 3500MHz and I am overclocking, I believe to 4100MHz. So I don't know what that's all about.
    Next is after it gives the name of my graphics card, it then says X.Org drivers, and some other stuff followed by FAILED.
    Next it says my audio is "NVIDIA GK106 HDMI Audio Controller" It shouldn't be Nvidia, it should be realtek, at least I think this computer, like my last 3, is using Realtek. But whatever, the audio and video seem to work on this distro, so I ain't too worried about that.
    The next odd thing, and this may be relevant to the WiFi issue is that it claims the WiFi device is by Realtek. No, it should be by ASUS.

What distro are you running like now? Do you want to stick with a particular distro or not? It would help if we knew the answers to both these Qs.
    ex: in Mint blacklist nouveau as vincent said here, for starts.
    I think mint has nVidia driver in repos, so do
    PHP Code:
    sudo apt-get update 
    then
    PHP Code:
    sudo apt-get search nvidia-legacy 
    and look for the 304 driver
    then if there,
    PHP Code:
    sudo apt-get install (name of nvidia-legacy-driver
    Logoff and logon and see if it works

If you had installed MX-14, you could have gone to ceni in terminal or console and configured it all rather easily.

Your wireless card is a Realtek RTL8188CE, doesn't matter who the final packager of it is (in this case, Asus)

FYI only iff your distro's repos dont have it -- see this

Also, you may have to append the linux kernel line of GRUB with "nomodeset" priot to booting to it after blacklisting nouveau.

You're learning --keep it up! and good Luck!
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Just Joined!
    Well in regards to the WiFi issue, I attempted to install WICD.
    I couldn't install WICD because... because Linux.
    I thought installing software would be as easy as clicking, double clicking, or right clicking the downloaded file. Nope, as with everything, command line.
    Apparently, you have to first start by extracting the tar.gz file or whatever the extension was. And I was trying and trying to do that through the terminal, but no such directory, no matter how many times I tried to logically figure out the director structure. Then I realized I can just right click and extract the WICD files. Well that made life simple. But I couldn't find anything to which clicking on it would install it. So back to the terminal to follow various instructions from various sites on how to do this. First I have to run python, which involves some command to configure python. The configure command resulted in lots of text being spit at me, ultimately ending in a bunch of lines about not being able to find something. Then replacing “configure” with “install” (as directed) did not work. Adding the directory did not work. I couldn't figure out if the instructions really meant to type out “–/root” (or whatever it was) or if this was a hint to what the root directory should be (such as fill in blank at this portion of the directory). Tried many different ways of writing out the directory, such as “typing the entire directory from root, typing out just the next directory from within the directory one level up.” I got more and more confused. I began pointing python via terminal at every file I could find in the directory. And who knows maybe I wasn't pointing python after all. Maybe after the first command failed, python closes, and I had to add that gibberish about configuring python all over again per command. And it dawns on me, even if I get WICD set up, what if that doesn't fix the problem as it had for others? And then something else dawns on me, even if I get it all to work, is this really the type of OS I want to run? An OS that requires typing in commands and pointing to various things to directories as if I were running DOS or an old Commodore 64? I was willing to put a lot of work into making Linux work, and learning the environment, but we've come along ways from DOS, and the thing I must hated about DOS was typing in so much stuff as a kid. Pointing and clicking to make things happen is so much easier, I just can't relearn how to run things from a command line.

Rute is a good reference.

That is . . . if you wanna stick around and learn. Personally, I find the Freedom inherent in GNU/Linux refreshing and rewarding and worth a little effort to learn.
    Even if it is being slowly eroded, I'm no going to just roll over and give up something that has been hard-won and that is second only to Love in my book.

Microsoft and Apple and the so-called New World Order count on people like the OP. 'Tis a pity! Bertrand Russell once said, “Freedom in general may be defined as the absence of obstacles to the realization of desires,” and apparently we live in minefields nowadays.

However the Creator gives us all freedom to choose. I am nobody to mess with it. You're free to go and choose as you please, as am I. So, ¡Adios! (literally)
    docbop and rokytnji like this.
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    From your postings it appears that it is a proprietary driver/firmware problem. Mint is and Ubuntu derivative, as Ubuntu is a Debian one. The difference is that Mint will include proprietary drivers and firmware for common WiFi chip sets, whereas Ubuntu and Debian require that you install them separately. Go to wireles.kernel.org for drivers and installation help if necessary, although Ubuntu does provide the proprietary bits in their System->Administration->Hardware/Additional Drivers page.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast