Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gregm
  • 1 Post By bobmct
Hello everybody! So I have a quick question for all you wifi geeks I have a main wireless router (clearly) BUT! I aquired another router, just a mid range bog ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wink Using a seperate router to make a bridged connection

Hello everybody!
    So I have a quick question for all you wifi geeks

I have a main wireless router (clearly)
    BUT! I aquired another router, just a mid range bog standard one!

I am wondering if I could configure it to be used as a bridge between my main router and my system? To say, for instance to make my connecion stronger or set bridged connections within my VMs?

I am running Kali Linux (Debian based) by the way

Hope i explained well enough

Linux Engineer
    I use at bridge to give better reach in part of my house. If the router has a bridge mode then you might be able simply set the switch and do the configuration. If it doesn't have a bridge mode then DD-WRT may work for you. You change the firmware to DD-WRT and then configure away. There are challenges but it worked fine (and continues to work) for me.

DD-WRT Tutorial 3: Building a Wireless Bridge
    halo0 likes this.

Just Joined!
    In other terms you are looking for a "repeater". I just installed one in my home that links its WAN side to my existing router wirelessly and extends the SAME SSID to the other parts of the house. Works like a charm.

Perhaps you could look at various router specs to see if the config supports "Repeater" mode. My main router is an Asus RT-N66U and my remote is and Asus RT-N10P. As soon as I selected repeater mode it searched for available Wifi networks, I selected mine, it asked for the passphrase and then it configured itself. Then I needed only to plug in into an AC outlet in the area where it was needed. Easy peasy.
    Good luck. BTW - I purchased my spare from Newegg for (with rebates $4.99) and its B,G & N compatible.
    halo0 likes this.

This was extremely useful! Thanks so much!