Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! Newbee here. I want to try Lubuntu on my old Dell XP laptop but I need to make sure I can access wireless before I get rid of Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

password needed to trial Lubuntu and fix nm-applet bug?

Hi! Newbee here. I want to try Lubuntu on my old Dell XP laptop but I need to make sure I can access wireless before I get rid of Windows XP. I tried Lubuntu on an old Toshiba A10 but could not resolve wifi issues (still working on it actually). I like Lubuntu so far, however. After i fix the nm-applet bug (so wireless networks show up for me to choose from) I have to log out. When you log out while trying, not a hard install/replacement it wants a user password, which you don't set up on trial. Can this be done - fix the nm-applet bug and try Lubuntu without a complete install?

Linux Newbie
    You don't need to make a permanent fix to test WiFi - just run "nm-applet" from the run option on the menu. The password is probably listed somewhere in the Lubuntu documentation but you don't need to log out to test WiFi...

Just Joined!
    That works but all I see when highlighting applet is "Ethernet Network disconnected (grayed out), VPN Conntections". Could my network card have issues with Lubuntu? Also, I've found that computer will run Mint 17 from the "Live CD" but it will not connect either, should I try another version of Linux that might be more compatible with my system? I don't have any problem with wireless when I'm in WinXP on same computer.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close