Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I have installed Ubuntu 12.04.I have to connect to WLAN. I am able to see the network and when I choose ->connect through hidden wireless network->network name->connect. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless connection failed recently

Hello all,
    I have installed Ubuntu 12.04.I have to connect to WLAN.
    I am able to see the network and when I choose
    ->connect through hidden wireless network->network name->connect.
    I am seeing the wi-fi symbol searching for signal and after some time it asks "Authentication required".I give the password and the same process repeats.

untill previous week I could connect to the same WLAN and run updates,browse..
    But now I am not able to connect.
    Nothing has been changed since then,network configurations in Ubuntu and the modem have been the same.

P.S : I am able to connect to internet using wireless datacard.
    Please help.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Are you sure you are using the correct encryption type (WEP, WPA...)?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Dear Rubberman,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes I am using correct encryption (WPA-Personal).
    I have also verified the type with my other hosts like in Windows7 and my mobile.
    Moreover I was able to use the same network a week ago.But i could not do so 3 days before.
    All settings remain unchanged.

Please help.
    Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, since you can connect using a WiFi data card, but not (I presume) the internal WiFi radio, then I have to wonder if it has a problem. Have tried taking the laptop to a public WiFi site (Starbucks, McDonalds, etc) to see if it works there?

Just Joined!
    Dear Rubberman,
    Thanks for your response.
    Yes your presumption is right.I am not able to connect to wlan.
    I tried to connnect to wlan in my university and it failed.It asks for authentication and when I give the pwd it is trying to pick the signal but after some time it again asks for authentication.The same happens in my home network too.

Please help.
    Thanks,
    Aravind

Unfortunately without direct access to the device I can't say for sure (and then, possibly not), but I suspect it is either a hardware problem or a driver problem (most likely) since you updated the system immediately before it failed. All things considered, I would expect a driver and/or firmware problem. My suggestion? Go to wireless.kernel.org, and get the correct driver AND firmware for this device, re-install them, and see if that fixes the situation. At least, that's what I would do.

Just Joined!
    Dear Rubberman,
    Thanks for your help.
    I will try.
    Aravind

Something you can try just to see if it's an actual physical problem with the wifi card or a driver/firmware problem is to download and make a Live USB of a couple different Distros like say Point Linux 2.3 and Manjaro Xfce. Boot to them and see if they'll be able to connect to the interweb via your wifi card. If they can then it's not the card, it's a driver/firmware issue with Ubuntu 12.04 that's stopping you from making the connection.
    Also, crazy question but why are you using 12.04LTS when you can get a newer version 14.04LTS to use that may have better support for your equipment?
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.