Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Bandwidth has more then been cut in half with new Modem/Router.

So I got my TP-Link Modem/Router today and after a bit of trial and error and a call to Frontier to get my VPI/VCI numbers my bandwidth is running at 2.84Mbps, about half of the 5.6Mbps that I did have. Not sure what's wrong, something probably isn't set up right but what??
    Anyone with any knowledge about the TP-Link TD-W8960N Modem/Router please chime in and give me some info on how this thing should be set up because I'd like it to run at full speed. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

I think something is up with Frontier because even the Netgear 7550 is giving slow numbers.

Here's the numbers from the 7550
    3.58Mbps down/ 199Kbps up, Latency 31ms, Jitter 2ms.

Here's the TP-Link numbers
    2.75Mbps down/ 133Kbps up, Latency 40ms, Jitter 3ms.

So it's both that are giving way under my 5.6Mbps that I was getting so it must be something going on with Frontier. Man, they suck so much.

New numbers put the Netgear at 5.6Mbps(back where it should be) and the TP-Link at 5.12Mbps, a bit slower. Not sure why the TP-Link is slower. I did flash the firmware to the latest version for my V.4 Modem/Router, held my breath until it was done and thank God I didn't brick it. I guess I need to see how signal is out in the family room. The Netgear was only giving me 2 of 4 bars. With the external antennas I hope to have at least 3 if not all 4 bars out there as well.
    If anyone can come up with a reason why the TP-Link is giving slower numbers then the Netgear I'd like to know why.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, I have picked up one bar in the Family Room so instead of 2 out of 4 I'm 3 out of 4 which will help add more bandwidth.

The slight slow down could be any number of reasons: Not as fast a processor, less efficient firmware, better firmware that performs more filtering and is more secure causing you to use more overhead, who knows. But it sounds like you got it mostly sorted. About the only thing you can do to try to pick up that extra bar is see if a repeater will help.

I'm 99.9% sure it was my ISP's problem since even the supplied Modem/Router was posting slow times. Everything seems to be running up to snuff now, I was getting 5.72Mbps and I even have 3 bars out of 4 with the TP-Link where the Netgear only gave me 2 out of 4 when I was outside so all in all I'd call it a win albeit not a HUGE one but still, a little win is better then no win at all.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I'm 99.9% sure it was my ISP's problem since even the supplied Modem/Router was posting slow times. Everything seems to be running up to snuff now, I was getting 5.72Mbps and I even have 3 bars out of 4 with the TP-Link where the Netgear only gave me 2 out of 4 when I was outside so all in all I'd call it a win albeit not a HUGE one but still, a little win is better then no win at all.
    What happens when you use a hard-wire connection? The question to answer is if the problem is between the router and the ISP, or the router and your wireless devices. Signal processing is a dark art! And not all RF signal filters are created equal - just ask my grandson who designs that cruft.,, Using a hard connection will at least give you the answer to that question.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

-->
    I did hook the old modem/router back up and had the same slow bandwidth which confirmed my suspicion that it was the ISP being buggy and not my new modem/router. Now with the new modem/router I'm getting around 5.6-5.7Mbps on a good day. Of course there's still those off days where it'll drop or die altogether but it's running well now and I have quite a bit more range with the external antennas over the little internal antenna that my old M/R had. .