Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Broadcom wifi card gives better signal then Intel.

I know that I like a lot of others tend to dis the Broadcom wifi cards mainly because some Distros just don't support them as well as other wifi cards like the Intel. Well, I've been playing around with Wireshark and the intel card in my yD420 didn't support monitor mode but the Broadcom in my D630 does so I thought, hey, why not swap it out with a Broadcom card that I took out of another Dell a few months ago.
    Well, since Manjaro supports the Broadcom cards I knew it'd work but wow, I went from 3 bars up to a full 4 bars with this card so it seems like it's a bit more powerful in pulling in the signal. Has anyone else noticed this between different wifi cards?
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

It's likely the antennas in the 2 laptops are different - they receive the signal not the card really...

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    It's likely the antennas in the 2 laptops are different - they receive the signal not the card really...
    Antennas are a factor, but also are things like signal processors, filters, power consumption, and many other things. If the BCom stuff works better for TNFrank, then I say the proof is in the pudding! If you take 10 different cards and graph them as to sensitivity and throughput, you would have 10 different results, and those may vary depending upon the system they are installed in.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I"m only talking about one laptop here, my Dell D420. With the Intel card I got 3 bars in the Dinning Room, the Broadcom card in this same laptop with the same antennas gives me 4 bars. The card just works better with the D420. YMMV.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I"m only talking about one laptop here, my Dell D420. With the Intel card I got 3 bars in the Dinning Room, the Broadcom card in this same laptop with the same antennas gives me 4 bars. The card just works better with the D420. YMMV.
    So, go with the Broadcom card and enjoy!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

-->
    YMMV.
    Something akin to AMEN in the Computing World.
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.