Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hooking up an 802.11n wifi card to an 802.11g system.

I currently have 802.11g Broadcom wifi cards in my two laptops but I'm going to move to Intel 802.11n cards and wonder which two taps I should use on the card. The g's only have to taps for the antennas but I noticed that n's have 3, #1 on the left, #3 in the middle and #2 on the right side. I'm thinking that I would use 1 and 2 and leave 3 open. Also, I do have some antenna leads from an old laptop and wonder if I could hook up one to tap #3 and route it around the bottom of the case to draw in my siginal or would that just be a waste of time since it'd not be hooked to the actual antenna in the screen portion of the laptop? Anyway, just wanted to get this right the first time and do it as well as I could so I'll not have to go back into my laptops to re-do it at a later date. Thanks.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

I don't know but I got tired of seeing if this kid was going to slit his wrists unpacking stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N736CyshAQ

Video is too long for me to sit through and see if it has what you need.
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

LOL, I know how to replace it, I just wonder if it'll matter which two of the three taps on the wifi card I hook my two antenna wires up to? I figure it'd be #1 and #2 and just leave #3 open but if hooking a wire to #3 will get me better reception(even if it's not actually hooked to the antenna) then I'll add one of the old leads from a broken laptop I have to #3 just so something is plugged into it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    -->
    Just hooked it to #1 and #2 and left #3 open. Lost a bit of connection, 93% down from 100% but I guess that's to be expected since it seems that Intel doesn't have the same "power" as Broadcom does. Not sure why but that's just my observation. Still, being Intel it should be more compatible with Linux Distros so that'll be a plus.