Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CentOS 7 - Wireless Broadcom BCM4311 config help

Hi all!

I just installed CentOS 7 and I am trying to configure my wireless network. I have a dell laptop with a Broadcom BCM4311 wireless adapter and I have come to understand that CentOS does not natively support this card (just me luck).

I am still learning linux so I am not that well versed in these more advanced things yet.

Could anyone lend some advice/tips or know a good way to remedy this?

Cheers!

NOTE: This manual is based on CentOS 6 and tested with Broadcom BCM4313 (Vendor/DeviceID 14e4:4727). Previous Wiki version was written for CentOS 5 and Broadcom BCM4311/4312 chips have been tested on it.
    In order to install Broadcom BCM4311, BCM4312, BCM4313, BCM4321 or BCM4322, BCM43224, BCM43225, BCM43227, or BCM43228 based wireless network cards, the next steps should be followed:
    I am not a rpm based user so I cannot speak from personal experience if this site works or not.

ATTENTION: This driver module is NOT persistent across kernel upgrades (i.e. when you update the kernel, and boot the newly installed one, you'll have to do this over again). And again, this is why you placed the archive contents in /usr/local/src/hybrid-wl and changed the ownership of the directory and it's contents.
    Since this how to is for older CentOS releases. I am posting this more as a reference tool so you can use the commands like

Code:
    /sbin/lspci | grep Broadcom
    so as to post exactly what you have for a Broadcom wireless chip. Exact info is always best in a forum thread.

That way the forum members here that run rpm based distros can help you better than I.

Just Joined!
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci | grep Broadcom
    yields the below:
    09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
    0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11a/b/g (rev 01)

And for reference, i am able to connect to internet using wired connection

I did find that site earlier and was following the steps, however I got caught up in Step 3 where the below code returned an error:
    Code:
     make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/ M=`pwd`
    The above code gave me:
    make: *** /lib/modules/3.10.0-123.el7.x86_64/build/: No such file or directory. Stop.

Thoughts???

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I can't paste URL. Type in Google: BC4311 CentOS. The first link is link to wiki.

Just Joined!
    I have found the above wiki article you are referring to. I ran through the first few steps, but get stuck on Step 3 due to an error that says "No such file or directory".
    Below is the actual error:
    make: *** /lib/modules/3.10.0-123.el7.x86_64/build/: No such file or directory. Stop.

Just Joined!
    Install linux-headers.

Search - for example:
    Code:
    yum search all kernel | grep headers

Just Joined!
    I ran the above search and tried to install "kernel-headers.x86_64" but it said that these were already installed and up to date.

The search also returned the below:
    btrfs-progs-devel.i686 : btrfs filesystem-specific libraries and headers
    btrfs-progs-devel.x86_64 : btrfs filesystem-specific libraries and headers
    nettle-devel.i686 : Development headers for a low-level cryptographic library
    nettle-devel.x86_64 : Development headers for a low-level cryptographic library

Should I install them as well?? Thanks!!

Just Joined!
    Code:
    yum install kernel-headers-`uname -r`

Just Joined!
    Yup, those were installed and updated already as well.

Any other ideas??

-->
    Quote Originally Posted by bapestar7 View Post
    Yup, those were installed and updated already as well.

Any other ideas??
    The error is probably because you are running a older kernel than 3.10.
    I can't really say unless you post output of like lets say

Code:
    rpm -qa kernel
    Like I said. I am the wrong dude for replying to this since I am a .deb kind of dude.