Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation Mint 17.1 Broadcom 4318 wifi not working

Hi I have a Dell inspiration 530 with broadcom wifi, installed win 8.1 and linux mint 17.1 on same drive win 8.1 wifi works and in linux cant find solution tried many threads online so far no solution. In terminal downloaded and tried different debs and when i use modprobe wl it doesent do anything not sure how to check what's wrong.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The broadcom WiFi requires proprietary drivers and firmware that Mint doesn't support by default. You should find them in the System->Preferences or System->Administration an option for "other drivers" or some such. If the driver/firmware you need isn't there, then visit wireless.kernel.org for the drivers and firmware you need.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I did a listing in terminal { lspci | egrep -i --color 'network|ethernet'
    00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection (rev 02)
    02:01.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)}

its shows the controller , i ran the command below and it tells me module wl in use but theres no connection

sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb wl
    [sudo] password for
    modprobe: FATAL: Module wl is in use.

I'm going to reinstall linux mint cinnamon and retry

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The lsmod command is much more useful to find loaded drivers than using modprobe. It also does not require sudo or root privileges.

My solution for the Dell laptops that I've owned has always been to spend the $5 bucks for an Intel wifi card and just be done with it. Ubuntu MATE 14.04 LTS did work with the factory Broadcom card but the Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AGN card ALWAYS works with any Distro that I try. Check out EBay, spend the $5 bucks and get your wifi working.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

FWIW, Broadcom now has fully open sourced Linux drivers for their gear. Go to the support download pages on their web site: Home | Broadcom for both driver sources as well as documentation. They have 32-bit and 64-bit drivers available.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    -->
    I'm a bit late to the party but if Mint has the firmware-b43-installer package, it will download an install the appropriate drivers and firmware. Ubuntu has this package so it is likely you can install it as simply as running sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
    Should you be sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

The Fifth Continent