Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Network Bridging with linux

Hi all im looking ti setup a wireless bridge

This is the set up I have in my shed
    Belkin n+ USB wifi adapter
    Connect too
    A windows desktop via USB witch is connected to my house
    I then shear that connection to the rj45 port where I have a netgear wireless router connect to it and that gives me 30mbs wifI in the shed

I want to replace the desktop with the raspberry pi running linux

is this possable

thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What have you tried? Replacing one system for another should not be an issue. Are you using DHCP or are you using static IP addresses?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Thanks for the reply
    I'm using dhcp

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This should require little effort on your part. Simply give the PI a host name and it should automatically connect to the network. If you are using WiFi then you will need to configure the WiFi network interface and provide the SSID and password for the router. If you are using a wired ethernet connection, then you really don't need to do anything other than the host name, which really isn't required.

okay I"ll have a go at giving the pi a host name and see where i can go from there ill let you know the results thanks

Unfortunately still not working is there any commands I can follow
    Thanks

Did you configure the PI's network interface for DHCP, or did you give it a static IP address?

I gave it a static.
    So I can ssh in the future

-->
    Quote Originally Posted by grissgray View Post
    I gave it a static.
    So I can ssh in the future
    Is it in the subnet range of the router? Also, most routers that give out DHCP addresses also require that you define a range of addresses that are not to be used for DHCP and your device address has to reside there. If it still doesn't work, then perhaps you have the wrong cable. Most computer and router NICs can detect when the wiring is wrong, such as using a patch cable when you should be using a regular transmission cable, etc. but I don't know about the NIC on the PI. If you are using WiFi, then that will not be an issue. In any case, try using DHCP first and see if the PI gets an address + connection. IE, if it gets an address, it has connected with the router.