Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Netgear WNA3100 Network Adapter loses Internet connection randomly

Hello, I am looking to get Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit running on my computer but am having difficulty getting a stable internet connection with my Netgear N300 (WNA3100) network adapter. This is my first time ever dealing with linux so I am still getting used to its many nuances. I am currently using Windows 7 and am running Linux through a live session from a bootable USB drive. I've spent a good amount of time searching for solutions but have not been able to solve the issue.

To sum up the issue, I am able to get internet to work, but after a period of time that can range from 1 to maybe 20 minutes I suddenly lose connection and the internet is no longer responsive, although my network at the bottom right of the screen still says I have connection. Although if I unplug my network adapter and plug it back in I get working internet again temporarily until it quits working again. I would like to be able to confirm that internet works for me before I commit to a Linux install.

To get internet working I follow these steps.

I extract "2612284-Broadcom_bcm43xx_USB_32_64bit_v2.tar.gz" folder into my Downloads folder
    then I put this code in the terminal...
    ----
    sudo ndiswrapper -i ~/Downloads/Broadcom_bcm43xx_USB_32_64bit_v2/bcmn43xx64.inf
    ----
    to which it responds...

couldn't find SourceDisksFiles section - continuing anyway...
    installing bcmn43xx64 ...
    couldn't find install section "BCM43XXN32" -
    installation may be incomplete

Then I input this code...
    ----
    sudo modprobe -v ndiswrapper
    sudo ndiswrapper -ma
    dmesg | grep ndis
    lsmod
    iwconfig
    ndiswrapper -l
    ----

After I do that the internet starts to work briefly before shutting off at infrequent intervals. I have also attempted to install the latest Netgear WNA3100 driver (WNA3100_SW_V2.2.0.2_Setup_STALONE.zip) using Wine 1.7 to run the Setup.exe, it ended with saying that the Netgear WNA3100 driver was successfully installed, also included from Netgear was a (WNA3100_SW_v2.2.0.4_Setup_Genie.zip) but when I try to run that Setup.exe through Wine it tells me another instance of this setup is running, please wait and try again. This is as far as I've gotten, and the issue has yet to be resolved.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance with this matter as I highly enjoy what I've been able to see from Linux so far and would like to utilize it, but without stable network connection I would not be able to commit to it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Nomrah; 02-09-2016 at 04:04 AM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This tells me you are using WiFi? Change the communication channel of the access point from the default of 6 to something else, like 4 or 9...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Mint has a command for wifi built in.

Code:
    mintwifi
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks for the responses.

Rubberman- Correct I am using wifi. I have my Netgear wireless adapter connected to my pc. I had tried various channels but the issue persists. I would like to note that my wireless connection has and still works perfectly when I boot into Windows 7.

Also unfortunately the situation seems to have gotten worse, before I was able to at least establish internet connection after selecting my listed available network and typing in the password. But now I just get an endless loop of it re asking me the password over and over. I know that I am putting in the correct password and it is the one that has worked on Linux for the past couple of days.

rokytnji- I tried to put in the code you listed it responded with this code below, but hung on step 5 for about five minutes each time I tried it.

Code:
    mint@mint ~ $ mintwifi
    -------------------------
    * I. scanning WIFI PCI devices...
    * II. querying ndiswrapper...
    * III. querying iwconfig...
    eth0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

* IV. querying ifconfig...
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:62:66:47:76:7e  
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
              RX packets:157 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:157 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:11125 (11.1 KB)  TX bytes:11125 (11.1 KB)

* V. querying DHCP...

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Post the output of lsusb as well, since this is a USB device. Sometimes the open source drivers or a particular distribution has older drivers that need to be updated. You can go to https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/ for more information, current Linux drivers, instructions on installation, etc.

but hung on step 5 for about five minutes each time I tried it.
    Weird? This makes me wonder if a md5sum was done before a install.

Edit. Stick with rubbermans coaching. I am busy with outdoor projects like my cushman truckster, 63 ford f100, retirement type of stuff.
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

Rubberman- Here are the results of lsusb

Code:
    mint@mint ~ $ lsusb
    Bus 009 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 006: ID 0930:6545 Toshiba Corp. Kingston DataTraveler 102 Flash Drive / HEMA Flash Drive 2 GB / PNY Attache 4GB Stick
    Bus 004 Device 005: ID 0846:9020 NetGear, Inc. WNA3100(v1) Wireless-N 300 [Broadcom BCM43231]
    Bus 004 Device 004: ID 046d:c21d Logitech, Inc. F310 Gamepad [XInput Mode]
    Bus 004 Device 003: ID 090c:1000 Silicon Motion, Inc. - Taiwan (formerly Feiya Technology Corp.) Flash Drive
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 003: ID 1c4f:0034 SiGma Micro 
    Bus 006 Device 002: ID 1c4f:0002 SiGma Micro Keyboard TRACER Gamma Ivory
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    I looked around on the link you provided, I located my device on the list and I ultimately ended up at Netgears WNA3100 support page where I previously downloaded the latest driver 2.2.0.4 I don't know if those drivers are what I need or how to properly implement them.

Also on wikidevi's WNA3100 page it states on the right hand side
    "Probable Linux driver none, will not be supported by brcmfmac"

I'd post the links of where I ended up but I'd need 15 posts to do that.

rokytnji- Will do, good luck with the projects.

This is the entry of interest:

Bus 004 Device 005: ID 0846:9020 NetGear, Inc. WNA3100(v1) Wireless-N 300 [Broadcom BCM43231]

That chip set (BCM43231) is not supported well by linux, but Broadcom has been working diligently to build Linux drivers for their hardware. Go to their web site and see what they have for this chip set. If they aren't supporting it directly on Linux you may need to get another dongle. I have a Broadcom chip in my Dell laptop that they do directly support, and it works fine.

First off, lots of hardware works in Windows that may or may not work in Linux. The reason is that hardware makers have an economic incentive in creating good drivers for Windows, not so much for Linux.

If you can't get Mint running on your WiFi, try out MX-15 as it has pretty good Broadcom support built in.

MX Linux | MX & Mepis Community
    Are you a clueless Kali user? If you can't get Kali running on your own, it ain't the right distro for you.

-->
    Alright, thanks for the information, it may not be the best news but at least it clears things up. I have a small Trendnet N150 wireless adapter that I have stored away that I might try out, otherwise MX-15 does has my interest, and would be convenient if it worked with my NetGear adapter.