Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1

    I need help getting these drivers for my Ath10k wireless card


    I think that's the name of the card. It's in my Alienware 17. Kali Linux cannot connect because I don't have the drivers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lizardman; 01-24-2017 at 10:34 AM.

  2. #2
    Linux Guru Segfault's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Acadiana
    Posts
    2,185
    I fail to see the problem, all that is required is in your screenshot. Kali is for experienced Linux users, if you cannot read the error from screen and fix it then I suggest you start with some Linux distro more suitable for beginners.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    I fail to see the problem, all that is required is in your screenshot. Kali is for experienced Linux users, if you cannot read the error from screen and fix it then I suggest you start with some Linux distro more suitable for beginners.
    Firstly, I could read the errors, I just didn't know where the drivers were. Secondly, I'm taking a 20 hour course with this.

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Have you tried installing "broadcom-wl" and "networkmanager" packages? You can get the applet to show up in the panel by running "nm-applet" in the terminal or have it as a run at startup application. Haven't used Kali, but installing broadcom-wl usually fixes wifi issues for Intel computers and Network Manager is just the best for managing the network.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOuterLinux View Post
    Have you tried installing "broadcom-wl" and "networkmanager" packages? You can get the applet to show up in the panel by running "nm-applet" in the terminal or have it as a run at startup application. Haven't used Kali, but installing broadcom-wl usually fixes wifi issues for Intel computers and Network Manager is just the best for managing the network.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I will try that.

  7. #6
    Linux Guru Segfault's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Acadiana
    Posts
    2,185
    What have you done to study your issue? Did you put the error you are getting into an internet search engine? No? Sorry, but then you are not ready for this "20 hour curse". Take some basic lessons first.


    broadcom-wl usually fixes wifi issues for Intel computers
    What a nonsense.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    What have you done to study your issue? Did you put the error you are getting into an internet search engine? No? Sorry, but then you are not ready for this "20 hour curse". Take some basic lessons first.



    What a nonsense.
    How about instead of acting like a standard God-complexed IT prick, you actually offer real help. Why even bother to post if the only thing you're good for is ridiculing others, especially someone with an actual problem and wants to learn about Linux. If my suggestion seems stupid to you, feel free to give actual advice instead of being pessimistic. I've actually built a few Linux distros (Debian, Ubuntu, and OpenSUSE based) and more often than not, broadcom-wl and NetworkManager are the solution at least 70% of the time when I can't get wifi to work. It's a heck of a lot better and easier than trying to do some auto DHCP and command line nonsense when you don't have to.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOuterLinux View Post
    How about instead of acting like a standard God-complexed IT prick, you actually offer real help. Why even bother to post if the only thing you're good for is ridiculing others, especially someone with an actual problem and wants to learn about Linux. If my suggestion seems stupid to you, feel free to give actual advice instead of being pessimistic. I've actually built a few Linux distros (Debian, Ubuntu, and OpenSUSE based) and more often than not, broadcom-wl and NetworkManager are the solution at least 70% of the time when I can't get wifi to work. It's a heck of a lot better and easier than trying to do some auto DHCP and command line nonsense when you don't have to.
    Thank you. Also to the other guy, the course needs no prior experience whatsoever.

  10. #9
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizardman View Post
    Firstly, I could read the errors, I just didn't know where the drivers were.
    you didn't even bother to rotate the image before posting it.
    tsk, tsk.
    yes, you need the firmware. NOT the driver.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lizardman View Post
    Secondly, I'm taking a 20 hour course with this.
    ah, i see.
    so you need it immediately and urgently.

  11. #10
    Linux Guru Segfault's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Acadiana
    Posts
    2,185
    -->
    First, I take all this 20 hour curse with a grain of salt. We have seen many n00bs who think Kali makes them instantly l33t.
    Second, I'll gladly help a home user who has no clue how Linux works.
    Third, giving a fish to someone who wants to become a fisherman is not helping.
    Lets see how a wannabe future pro is faring. Upside down screenshot - great job for a pro, make helpers task even harder. Not doing the homework and searching the net.
    No, I'd conclude poor Lizardman has chosen wrong path. Maybe he makes a great chef?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •