Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question [HELP] libpcap0.8 1.4.2 [QUESTIONS]

Hello everyone,

I've been concerned about this library for quite some time now, and I've researched about it but it was unsuccessful.

So now I'm gonna try on this forum to see if someone can answer this for me.

So at first I installed the lastest version of libpcap0.8 and libpcap0.8-dev (1.5.3-2) but I got problems with the software that was in need of this library (reaver / wash).

I researched a little more and discovered that the version that I needed was the old one, the (1.4.0-2), and in a lot of different webs they said to use the wget command

like this:

Code:
    wget mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/libp/libpcap/libpcap0.8_1.4.0-2_amd64.deb
    but if you to that website the famous ERROR 404 appears, like that version was deleted.

After browsing the web for quite some time I found some other links where you could dowload the 1.4.0 version from, but I was not sure about it, I was not sure if they were secure.

At the end I finally downloaded the lib from
    launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/amd64/libpcap0.8/1.4.0-2

which seemed truthful.

I installed it with dpkg and the software ran perfectly, no problems!

But after a couple minutes a warning message appeared:

BrokenCout > 0

It was basically because the lib was outdated, if I upgrade it, I don't have the warning anymore.

So after all this my questions are:

1. Why is the libpcap0.8 1.4.0-2 non existant on most of the mirror pages for linux software.

It's very strange because if you search on

es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu/pool/main/libp/libpcap/

Index of the official site the versions 1.2 to 1.4 don't appear

2. Is there a way to take off the warning icon that I get without upgrading the library?

Sorry can't post links yet
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by migalv; 06-28-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Well, this is not how things work. The software you want to use needs to be upgraded to use the current version of libcap. Sometimes one can cheat and create symlinks to deceive outdated software, but if there has been ABI change it won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Well, this is not how things work. The software you want to use needs to be upgraded to use the current version of libcap. Sometimes one can cheat and create symlinks to deceive outdated software, but if there has been ABI change it won't work.
    Hello @Segfault thanks for the reaply.

I understand that the software needs to be upgraded but it's not in maintenance anymore, it has been left behind, but it is a really good piece of software that I want to use.

Sorry to be noobwie about this but, what is ABI?

Oh, and also it does work, the only thing is that I get a warning message at the right corner.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Got a weird idea. Have you tried using the .rpm version from RPMFinder or any place like that and then convert to .deb using alien? Apart from creating a symlink, that's something I'd try to see if it produces the same results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheOuterLinux View Post
    Got a weird idea. Have you tried using the .rpm version from RPMFinder or any place like that and then convert to .deb using alien? Apart from creating a symlink, that's something I'd try to see if it produces the same results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not really, I don't know what you mean to be honest x)

But how can I use a symlink to solve this?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    ABI - Application Binary Interface. The internal code that the library, and dependent applications, use to function. You might be able to find the appropriate libpcap on the internet, or you may have to get the source for it (check on github or other sites) and build from scratch. Not work for a newbie, but possible. I have done such on many occasions, but then I have decades of experience of building stuff from scratch.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!