Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am running x86_64 edition (ubuntu). I did a google search and got started with this. Step 1 So you need to blacklist it first in a file situated in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing a WUSB54G on Ubuntu (Wireless adapter)

I am running x86_64 edition (ubuntu). I did a google search and got started with this.

Step 1

So you need to blacklist it first in a file situated in etc/modprobe.d/

Code:
    $sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    add the following line in the blacklist file

blacklist rt2570

save and restart. Check that after restart your wireless rausb0 disappears leaving only the modem in admin -> network.

Step 2

Now install ndiswrapper 1.8. I'm not sure whether the default ndiswrapper provided in the cd works. I think it should. You can give it a try. Here's the link for ndiswrapper 1.8

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/n...ar.gz?download

Then extract the archive files

Code:
    $tar zxvf ndiswrapper-version.tar.gz
    Go to the directory created and type the following

Code:
    $sudo make uninstall

$sudo make

$sudo make install
    If you encounter problem with make command not recognised. It means that development tools are not installed properly. Pop in your cd and install

- build-essentials
    - kernel headers

via synaptic. This should enable make.

Now ndiswrapper is installed

step 3

Installing the drivers is next. Pop in your WUSB54G installation cd. And find the drivers. For me it is version 4. So i copied the version 4 directory which is WUSB54Gv4. Copied the folder to my user directory.

Code:
    /home/username/WUSB54Gv4
    First check any drivers in ndiswrapper.

Code:
    $sudo ndiswrapper -l
    if there are any drivers installed uninstall it by

Code:
    $sudo ndiswrapper -e drivername
    follow by installing from the directory the inf file

Code:
    $sudo ndiswrapper -i drivername
    please remember the inf extension. In my case the drivername is rt2500usb.inf

So now restart and wireless should work. Configure your wireless connection in admin -> network
    I did everything as stated and it seemed to run flawlessly when I rebooted as stated only 1 ethernet card showed up and a dialup and no wireless card. eth1 was the only ethernet/broadband card that showed up that is my onboard card and no wireless card showed up.

I'm kind of unsure where to go from here and haven't been able to find much to help does anyone have anything to help me push past this hump? Also I am running the exact same card as this guy the wusb54g v4 card. This was a fresh install the first thing I did was what was stated above. Other than load ndiswrapper and kernal headers.

I don't believe Linksys published a 64 bits driver for this card, so you might be out of luck with a 64 distro and this how-to.

What shows
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    ...is your driver listed?

Did you run
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -m
    to associate ndiswrapper with a network device?

Also, putting "ndiswrapper" in /etc/modules can't hurt either.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    No I did not. I will try that when I get home. I'm still a newbie. I'm a fresh (from windows) guy. Trying to make the move to Linux because I'm not really stuck on Windows its just what my job has required for so long. Now I'm in a linux/windows enviroment with the chance to progress more with Linux so I'm trying to make the move. (If that makes any sense lol).

Basically I'm not a big fan of windows and just want something different. And I understand different means its not going to be the same and will probably be quite a bit harder for a lil bit until I get accustomed to it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    After doing a little more research based on what you said no 64 bit drivers for linksys wireless cards it lead me to this

http://extended64.com/forums/thread/2707.aspx

And from what I'm reading it looks like a 3rd party makes drivers that will work in the 64 bit enviroment. I have seen a couple posts in other places with people asking why their 64 bit linux builds would not work with the drivers they were installing so I will try this when I get home. If anyone else is having this issue the link to the 3rd party driver is

http://ralink.rapla.net/

Find your driver on the list and it should tell you which driver chip set you need and scroll to the bottom and go download the drivers . Will be a couple hours before I can test it so I wouldn't recommend it until I make sure it doesn't hose my system up lol...

Just Joined!
    None of these helped I'm not really sure where to go from here my device won't even show up in the list anymore just eth0 which is my default on board nic :/

Just Joined!
    Code:
    lspci
    will show you if it is connected properly.

Don't know if this will help narrow things down a bit for you since I'm not running '64,' but I had nothing but headaches trying to get v4 (Ralink) of WUSB54G working with Ndiswrapper. Everything reported as connected but I still could get no joy. I installed rt2570 in both Slackware 10.2 and Ubuntu Dapper and have been pleased with its performance under both.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 07-01-2006 at 02:22 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Will check this once I get home.

saz
    Just Joined!
    hi there!

i've followed those steps too, and when i rebooted ubuntu there was no wireless card too! my card is a v4 too... the only diference is that i'm using 32-bit ubuntu dapper... can anyone help me? what shoul i do? i've runned the
    ndiswrapper -m
    and it still didn't work..

tks a lot!

Just Joined!
    wow I know this is an old thread but it sure helped. Just wanted to say thanks to all who contribute here.

I already had ndiswrapper installed and already installed the right driver but my wireless adapter was still showing up as rausb0 and not connecting. It wouldn't obtain an ip address.

The only step I was missing was to blacklist the rt2570 driver. Once I did that I restarted and everything just fell right into place. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast