Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
K so i am a linux virgin and i must say with the difficulty in getting on the damn internet its really leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Wireless networking w/ simply mepis for retards?

K so i am a linux virgin and i must say with the difficulty in getting on the damn internet its really leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I dont care what programs it comes with, that wouldnt really matter at all AS LONG AS I COULD CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. For some reason mepis seems to try and find the hardest way to do so. For one thing, one of the programs you need to use from what i read, you wouldnt even know it existed unless you looked it up on the internet, and its not even mentioned in the help section... For some reason there is no actual mentioning or clearly visable programs or utilities to set up your wireless network... this is hard to comprehind... that seems so stupid.. will someone please explain to me why they include so many useless programs that you could just download off the internet but spent no time at all to make it somewhat easy to get on the internet.... anyway...

So anyway i have a microsoft mn730 and the newest version of simply mepis and it has ndiswrapper already installed which apparently i need and im assuming i have the right driver installed properly (mn720-ankh.inf which supposedly works with both the mn720 &mn730)with by unzipping it and putting it in a file then doing all the fun commands and when i type in ndiswrapper -l it says for mn720-ankh "driver present hardware present" and ive toyed around with the multilities network setup from a tutorial but its just one big freakin mess.

Long story short

Is there anywhere where i can get a step by step tutorial (ive read like 10 already today) that can get me on the internet assuming i just started using linux 2 days ago? I did my research before taking the dive and chose simply mepis because it seemed like the easiest to get set up and im not completely retarded but holy crap there doesnt seem to be any one effective way to do anything...

Please i need some clear answers ive been searching through forums and all over search engines but its just one big confusing mess... i dont want to go back to windows!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by joelwastaken
    K so i am a linux virgin and i must say with the difficulty in getting on the damn internet its really leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I dont care what programs it comes with, that wouldnt really matter at all AS LONG AS I COULD CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. For some reason mepis seems to try and find the hardest way to do so. For one thing, one of the programs you need to use from what i read, you wouldnt even know it existed unless you looked it up on the internet, and its not even mentioned in the help section... For some reason there is no actual mentioning or clearly visable programs or utilities to set up your wireless network... this is hard to comprehind... that seems so stupid.. will someone please explain to me why they include so many useless programs that you could just download off the internet but spent no time at all to make it somewhat easy to get on the internet.... anyway...

So anyway i have a microsoft mn730 and the newest version of simply mepis and it has ndiswrapper already installed which apparently i need and im assuming i have the right driver installed properly (mn720-ankh.inf which supposedly works with both the mn720 &mn730)with by unzipping it and putting it in a file then doing all the fun commands and when i type in ndiswrapper -l it says for mn720-ankh "driver present hardware present" and ive toyed around with the multilities network setup from a tutorial but its just one big freakin mess.

Long story short

Is there anywhere where i can get a step by step tutorial (ive read like 10 already today) that can get me on the internet assuming i just started using linux 2 days ago? I did my research before taking the dive and chose simply mepis because it seemed like the easiest to get set up and im not completely retarded but holy crap there doesnt seem to be any one effective way to do anything...

Please i need some clear answers ive been searching through forums and all over search engines but its just one big confusing mess... i dont want to go back to windows!
    Amen to that... Linux apears to be a very befuddling OS... The file system is confusing and convoluted...a mess. Mounting a vfat drive is taxing to say the least (haven't succeeded yet)! This may be great stuff for the techy type, but without some easier to understand and standard file structure like Windows, its going to be a long time before it becomes mainstream. No wonder it's so secure...nobody can figure it out!

Quote Originally Posted by newtoit
    Amen to that... Linux apears to be a very befuddling OS... The file system is confusing and convoluted...a mess. Mounting a vfat drive is taxing to say the least (haven't succeeded yet)! This may be great stuff for the techy type, but without some easier to understand and standard file structure like Windows, its going to be a long time before it becomes mainstream. No wonder it's so secure...nobody can figure it out!
    Now, don't take this the wrong way...

I think Windows' "standard" filesystem scheme is a mess and poorly designed; after all, where's my home on Linux? Oh, it's at /home/rob. Straightfoward, logical. Where is it on Windows? C:\Documents And Settings\Rob. And most Linux users and developers don't care if it goes mainstream; in fact, some of us hope that it never does.

But if you don't like Linux, don't use it. If you think it should be more like Windows, then use Windows. The filesystem complaint jumped out at me, and I found it pretty funny.

Here's a step-by-step process to set up ndiswrapper:

1. Install ndiswrapper. (Obvious)
    2. Load your Windows drivers with ndiswrapper -i.
    3. Make sure your hardware's present with ndiswrapper -l.
    4. Load the ndiswrapper kernel module. (modprobe ndiswrapper)
    5. Install wireless utilities. (I think these come with Mepis.)
    6. Use iwconfig to configure your wireless card.
    7. Use ifconfig to bring it online.
    8. Use dhcpcd (if needed) to give it an address.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Javasnob

I think Windows' "standard" filesystem scheme is a mess and poorly designed; after all, where's my home on Linux? Oh, it's at /home/rob. Straightfoward, logical. Where is it on Windows? C:\Documents And Settings\Rob. And most Linux users and developers don't care if it goes mainstream; in fact, some of us hope that it never does.

But if you don't like Linux, don't use it. If you think it should be more like Windows, then use Windows. The filesystem complaint jumped out at me, and I found it pretty funny.

Your right, the My Documents folder doesn't follow a logical order, but that is the only confusing issue with their file system and easily explained to even the most novice computer user...It's basically a directory holding the files and program settings for an individual user.
    As far as the individual developers go, I'm left with an overwhelming impression from everything I've read that this was to be the "every man" OS, a way to computing without having to spend big money on Windows and expensive proprietary software. A selfless act, allowing even the poor and those with old hardware to keep up. Let me say the "every man" is in for some frustration.
    Anyhow... please take no offence for my comments because none were meant. Now, its back to the manuals... good grief!

Linux is not Microsoft Windows, so if your definition of "easy" ends with XP you're in for a shock. Here is some recommended reading:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...explained.html
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

It seems simply mepis already has ndiswrapper installed, so would i need a new version? Like i do make some progress with the installed one like when i type in ndiswrapper -l it does say hardware present driver present. Oh and if it does say that all i type in after that is "modprobe ndiswrapper" then its locked in a good to go?

Just Joined!
    Ok so heres my situation, im using what ndiswrapper came with simply mepis 6, im using the recommended driver from this page: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...rintable=yes#M when i type in ndiswrapper -l i see for that driver "driver present, hardware present." But under the mutilities it says wlan0 is not found and that wireless is on eth1, and when i type in iwconfig wireless is on eth1 (which i heard is not right it should be on wlan0), and when i type in lspci it does recognize the pci card as a broadcom BCM43xG. K so i think what situation im in is it recognizes the card and the driver their just not talking to each other. Help is much appreciated im freakin frustrated as hell but i like the sound of what linux has to offer as far as the available open source programs go and the serious lack of lameness in the linux community. Like i like the sound of the open source graphics, music, and video programs available, and linux, from what i keep hearing is waaay less taxing on the system and its worlds more stable. Blah blah blah someone please guide me i really want this to work!
    Thanks!!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Linux is not Microsoft Windows, so if your definition of "easy" ends with XP you're in for a shock. Here is some recommended reading:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...explained.html
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html
    I read the sticky article you suggested for my ilk “Linux is not Windows”. An excellent explanation of their differences, and the Linux community's position concerning both systems. This is quite an extensive sticky so I'm going to assume your the “unofficial Linux spokesman”. I particularly liked the car/motorcycle analogy.
    The rest of the article, though well written, essentially explains that your “community of interests” is an intellectual/techy hobbyist community with no real concern in expanding Linux to anyone but other hobbyists/programmers. I get that now, and can and completely understand, and respect the ”if you don't like it leave” attitude. This is your hard work! Kudos!
    Now I’m not going to pretend that I speak for the for all the frustrated Windows users, but I think I,m safe in saying we're all only looking for a better mouse trap. An OS based on what “we” (thus the sticky) presumed were universal concepts such as file systems, directory structures, etc. You must know the world would pay good money for an OS to compete with Windows...but then your not in it for the money.
    Well, after reading the article through, I think I can safely say that all of my presumptions of Linux and the Linux community’s position were misconceived.
    I'll probably continue to play with Linux for awhile to see if its worth all the effort, but I'm 55 years old so I may not have enough time left to learn which of the 2000 odd commands I'd need to access my email...

Quote Originally Posted by newtoit
    I read the sticky article you suggested for my ilk “Linux is not Windows”. An excellent explanation of their differences, and the Linux community's position concerning both systems. This is quite an extensive sticky so I'm going to assume your the “unofficial Linux spokesman”. I particularly liked the car/motorcycle analogy.
    The rest of the article, though well written, essentially explains that your “community of interests” is an intellectual/techy hobbyist community with no real concern in expanding Linux to anyone but other hobbyists/programmers. I get that now, and can and completely understand, and respect the ”if you don't like it leave” attitude. This is your hard work! Kudos!
    Now I’m not going to pretend that I speak for the for all the frustrated Windows users, but I think I,m safe in saying we're all only looking for a better mouse trap. An OS based on what “we” (thus the sticky) presumed were universal concepts such as file systems, directory structures, etc. You must know the world would pay good money for an OS to compete with Windows...but then your not in it for the money.
    Well, after reading the article through, I think I can safely say that all of my presumptions of Linux and the Linux community’s position were misconceived.
    I'll probably continue to play with Linux for awhile to see if its worth all the effort, but I'm 55 years old so I may not have enough time left to learn which of the 2000 odd commands I'd need to access my email...
    File systems? Directory structures? Linux has them. In fact, they're better than Windows' in general. How many times have I defragged under Linux? None. And as far as "easy to learn", Windows' filesystem hierarchy is only "easy" because it's so common. Ctrl-C to copy and Ctrl-V to paste are "easy", but that won't work in certain programs on various operating systems.

It's not that we don't want to expand Linux to non-hobbyists/programmers, it's just that we want new Linux users to understand that Linux isn't Windows and shouldn't be compared to Windows. The Windows attitude is typically, "I want it to work out of the box." The Linux attitude is usually, "I want to tweak and configure to my heart's content." For some, this is great; for others, it's not their cup of tea.

If you'd like to continue to use Linux and seek our help, we'll gladly help you; but posting "Linux is so hard" in someone else's post is not the way to ask.

Now I'm going to drop this whole thing and help joelwastaken with his wireless. If you'd like to continue this discussion, we'll start a thread in the Coffee Lounge and have a good debate.

On to the wireless -
    Try this:
    Code:
    ifconfig eth1 up # Do this as root!
    dhcpcd eth1
    See if that gets your wireless up and running and don't worry about what lspci tells you.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

Just Joined!
    File systems? Directory structures? Linux has them. In fact, they're better than Windows' in general. How many times have I defragged under Linux? None. And as far as "easy to learn", Windows' filesystem hierarchy is only "easy" because it's so common. Ctrl-C to copy and Ctrl-V to paste are "easy", but that won't work in certain programs on various operating systems.

It's not that we don't want to expand Linux to non-hobbyists/programmers, it's just that we want new Linux users to understand that Linux isn't Windows and shouldn't be compared to Windows. The Windows attitude is typically, "I want it to work out of the box." The Linux attitude is usually, "I want to tweak and configure to my heart's content." For some, this is great; for others, it's not their cup of tea.

If you'd like to continue to use Linux and seek our help, we'll gladly help you; but posting "Linux is so hard" in someone else's post is not the way to ask.

Now I'm going to drop this whole thing and help joelwastaken with his wireless. If you'd like to continue this discussion, we'll start a thread in the Coffee Lounge and have a good debate.

On to the wireless -
    Try this:
    Code:
    ifconfig eth1 up # Do this as root!
    dhcpcd eth1
    See if that gets your wireless up and running and don't worry about what lspci tells you.
    Your right, I apologize for the intrusion in this post! And no thank you on your offer to debate. You'd be having a battle of “Linux wits” with an unarmed man. But I'm going to hang around the forum for a while and see if I can pick up some knowledge. Who knows, maybe I'll convert........maybe!
    Good bye!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast