Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Anyone there?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Anyone there?

Did you cut the firmware with fw-cutter ?
    Did you put the resulting files in /lib/firmware/ ?

There are so many how-to out there, none of them works for you ?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=185174

Remember : post as much details as you can about what you are doing.

Which commands don't work ?
    What is the output of the failed commands ?
    etc.

It is really hard to help if you don't give precise informations about what is going on.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

bcm4311 isue solved

hey, i also got a bcm4311 wirless card in my hp pavillon dv2120ca (only labelled dv2000 on it). And i just managed to make it work!

Like you i tried 100 howto for the bcm43xx and none of them worked, i finaly figured what was the problem, the ndiswapper provided whit apt (apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils) is to old (curently it provides version 1.8 ).

so you need o get and build a more recent version. here how.

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r` cabextract linux-kernel-devel
    (i am not 100% sure you really need linux-kernel-devel)

$ cd /tmp

$ wget http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/s...er-1.28.tar.gz
    (if the url is no good get the latest stable version of ndiswrapper on sourceforge.net)

$ tar -zxvf ndiswrapper-1.28.tar.gz

$ cd ndiswrapper-1.28/

$ make distclean

$ make

$ sudo make install

$ wget ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33001-33500/sp33008.exe
    (get latest version of the driver, i dont think the source of the driver realy does mater so if this link is broken, try to get bcmwl5.inf from an oher source (tutorial on the bcm43xx may be helpfull) . this url is the driver hp provides for windows xp for my laptop)

$ cabextract sp33008.exe
    (if you did not get the exact same file cabextract may not work, alternately try unzip if it does not work. otherwise get bcmwl5.inf from an other source)

$ sudo sudo ndiswrapper -r bcmwl5
    (remove prevous version of the driver if any)

$ sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
    (install the driver)

$ ndiswrapper -l
    (list installed drivers you should see someting like :
    bcmwl5 driver installed, hardware (14E4:4324) present (alternate driver: bcm43xx)
    )

add this line "blacklist bcm43xx" (whit out the quotes) on a single line at the end of the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

check if everyhing is ready to load he ndiswrapper module
    $ sudo depmod -a
    (if you dont get any output you are good)

unload any previously loaded ndiswrapper module
    $ sudo rmmod ndiswrapper
    (you may get an error message if here was any ignore it)

load the module
    $ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

now check if the module was succefully loaded.
    $ dmesg | grep ndiswrapper
    (if you see "ndiswrapper version 1.28 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=yes)" and "usbcore: registered new driver ndiswrapper" in the last 2 to 5 lines yu are good!)

now, on the desktop menu system>administration>neworking
    you shoud see "wireless conection" that you dreamed to see for so long!

finaly we want this module to load automaticaly at boot time so:
    sudo ndiswrapper -m

let me know if it worked for you.

Just Joined!

Smile Mine now works too!

Hey SuperProg thanks a ton for the step by step instructions. I've been trying a million different configurations and none worked. This one worked first time, but the kernel I was running (k7 for the turion x2) froze up after a minute of being on wifi. Apparently others have hit this same problem. The freezing disappears on a non-smp kernel. I can live with one cpu if I can have my wifi.

Using:
    Hp pavilion dv2116wm
    ubuntu dapper drake
    kernel 2.6.15-27-386
    ndiswrapper 1.33
    hp driver sp34152.exe

Banned
    I also got it to work. I now use Gentoo, so my package was installed with a single command. All I had to do was find the 64-bit drivers and set up the wireless configuration. I suggest Gentoo if someone wants packages to work well with new hardware. You have to do some of the tinkering yourself, but the outcome is always great because of how strait-forward the OS is. For stinkerweed, I would suggest that you recompile your kernel to have any features you may not have installed with the current one you have. I know that may or may not be challenging, but it will work.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by DougMills
    I also got it to work. I now use Gentoo, so my package was installed with a single command. All I had to do was find the 64-bit drivers and set up the wireless configuration. I suggest Gentoo if someone wants packages to work well with new hardware. You have to do some of the tinkering yourself, but the outcome is always great because of how strait-forward the OS is. For stinkerweed, I would suggest that you recompile your kernel to have any features you may not have installed with the current one you have. I know that may or may not be challenging, but it will work.

Hey Doug, i'm fighting against my Wireless card because i'v installed FC6 x86_64, can you tellme where or how did you searched the 64 bit Driver?

Thanks a lot from now!

Banned
    It was an HP driver for another laptop. I don't know why, but it worked for some reason. Anyway, I can't remember the site, I think I might have the driver though, so I'll email it to you tomorrow, if I can. If you don't have an email listed on your portfolio thingy, just private message me the address and I'll send it to you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2