Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by eraker Debian always loaded the module just fine and I've never had trouble before I switched to wpa, so I thought that I should just use the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by eraker
    Debian always loaded the module just fine and I've never had trouble before I switched to wpa, so I thought that I should just use the default drivers still.
    I understand that the driver works fine for you with the tools you use.

The reason I ask this is only because network-manager sometimes requires more updated drivers to work properly.

For example, the standard ipw2200 driver that came with kernel 2.6.15.x (ipw2200 version 1.0.8 ) worked fine for me with plain wpa_supplicant. However I couldn't get network-manager to work with WPA encrypted networks.

I upgraded the ipw2200 driver (to version 1.1.0 and kept the 2.6.15 kernel) and WPA started to work with network-manager.

As I mentionned ealier, installing network-manager is rather simple :
    1) Install it
    Code:
    apt-get install network-manager-gnome
    2) Configure the proper permissions : add yourself to the newly created (by network-manager) "netdev" group with
    Code:
    vigr
    vigr -s
    3) Comment every interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces except the loopback one.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux User
    I have a 2.6.8 kernel. It didn't occur to me to think about that. I'm going to look at that and the driver first. Thank you for the suggestions. I'll post on my progress.

Linux User
    I updated the kernel, and was trying to get network-manager to work, but I found this info on the supported drivers page (http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerHardware):

"Supports unencrypted and WEP networks. Be sure to get a Linux kernel version of 2.6.13 or higher to get the version of this driver that supports wireless scanning."

The driver doesn't support WPA.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by eraker
    The driver doesn't support WPA.
    Well, that's sad.

Still, there are many more ways to secure your home network : MAC address filtering, disabling DHCP, changing WEP keys frequently, etc.

Anyway, good luck !
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux User
    haha. Thank you for your patient responses. I really appreciate it, and I got a lot of benefits from going with a newer kernel.

Just Joined!

Unhappy connecting to wpa protected networks with network-manager

i've successfully got network-manager working, but i don't know how to connect to a wpa protected network with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2