Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by The Ra what is the command for that? the files are in home/ra/networkdriver Then enter the command line, and navigate to this directory : Code: cd /home/ra/networkdriver ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ra
    what is the command for that? the files are in home/ra/networkdriver
    Then enter the command line, and navigate to this directory :
    Code:
    cd /home/ra/networkdriver
    Make sure the drivers are there :
    Code:
    ls -l

Make sure all needed files are in there :
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 ra ra 10102 2006-11-01 10:07 bcm43xx.cat
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 ra ra 555872 2006-11-01 10:07 bcmwl5.inf
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 ra ra 424320 2006-11-01 10:07 bcmwl5.sys
    Then type the command again :
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper bcmwl5.inf
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    already installed, yet when i use wireless assistant it says no devices detected, and closes.

Did you run
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    after running
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
    ?

Once done, load ndiswrapper :
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    Only then a device will appear, verify with :
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig
    Also, you must add "ndiswrapper" to list of modules to be loaded at startup :
    Code:
    echo ndiswrapper | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    ra@Amun:~$ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.15-27-686/kernel/drivers/net/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid argument

Just Joined!

Angry

ra@Amun:~$ sudo iwconfig
    Password:
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions.

Argh.

Try a reboot perhaps ?

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    could it be the wrong driver somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by The Ra
    could it be the wrong driver somehow?
    I wouldn't think so, check out the list of inserted drivers to make sure :
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!

First day with Ubuntu - BCM4309 issue

Hello All - Im new to Ubuntu, just installed it today. So far I like what I see. I installed it on my Dell inspiron laptop which has a bcm4309 wireless card installed.

Here's the problem. As I dont know anything about linux Im having trouble getting the wireless to work. I can get net and netword access via ethernet but not wireless...from what Ive read on here I need to do the ndsiwrapp thingy which I did. Im not sure if it worked though, it seemed to do something but I still cant get it working. I did download the drivers from dell but wasnt sure if I was meant to burn them to disk and put the disk in the laptop or what so I put the AR folder on my pen drive and moved them to the desktop, then ran the command again and it said something about not being able to do it twice so I assumed it might have worked. How can I check? In Windows the device manager shows an !! when a device isnt working. How can I check this in Ubuntu.

Im also not sure if its my configuration. Ive set everything to auto as suggested. Ive downloaded "wireless assistant" and also Kwifimanger and both say they cant find my network. In the "Network" tool it does seem to list wifi as an option which Im not sure if that means it's found the card and its just not configured correctly.

Any walk throughs welcome, please remember Im a Ubuntu newbie and would be grateful for exact instructions. Many thanks in advance.

Paul.

P.S I have another problem too if any of you can help, they may be related - My adsl went down for a few hours last week. I contacted my ISP and eventually it came back again but since then, when I use my BT 1250 adsl router (with wifi) I cant send emails via my desktop computer! I can use the net and receive emails. It uses a hardware firewall. I didnt change the settings initially. I cant even send email from Google Mail using their webspace, msn also doesnt work but other apps do ike ftp etc. BUT, when I switch to my ISP's default adsl modem (USB) everything works. So, this would suggest a firewall issue right? But for the life of me I cant figure out whats wrong with it or why it suddenly stopped working...any ideas on this would also be appreciated! Ive even had to switch to the other modem to send this as it wouldnt let me throught the router...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3