Find the answer to your Linux question:
I finally able to install ndiswrapper to my my system. I found out that by going to synaptic and add cdrom, and there is ndiswrapper avail. on the cd. Thanks ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    VS1
    Just Joined!

Error installing inf file on Xubuntu

I finally able to install ndiswrapper to my my system. I found out that by going to synaptic and add cdrom, and there is ndiswrapper avail. on the cd. Thanks Drapper Dan.
    Now another problem come out. I tried to install bcmwl5.inf drive as suggested by sourceforge. I got the following error.
    Installing bcmwl5
    couldn't copy bcmwl5.inf at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-1.8 line 144.

Somebody please help.

VS1

How are you trying to copy it? Unless you're logged in as root user you won't be able to write anywhere other than your home directory.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

VS1
    Just Joined!

Error continue..

I was login as a root.
    Here is the step that I made:
    1. I type in #sudo ndiswrapper -i bmwl5.inf
    2. I filled in the password, when the screen pop up.
    3. I let it run. A few minute later it showed the error.
    4. I checked by ndiswrapper -l
    5. it showed the driver installed, but next to the drive it said, "invalid driver".

Please help.. I never have a good luck with installing wireless card on the linux system.

As I understand, Ubuntu or its distro do not allow user to login as a root from the login window.
    The only way to do login as a root is on the terminal type su then it'll ask for a password.

VS1

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Try using the .SYS file instead of the .INF file. That seemed to work for me in Mandriva 2007.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    i had similar problems using ndiswrapper wit xu/ubuntu and a few other distros, i was told that a command 'modprobe ndiswrapper' would fix my woes by bringing life, but nope. lucky for you, ndiswrapper has a graphical program you can easily get with synaptic. just go in, search for 'ndiswrapper', and there should appear six packages. install all six, and the most useful one will be 'ndisgtk' the 'graphical frontend' (which means no more command line crap). once its finished installing them... just set it up in through your system folder, its down the bottom of the list, called 'windows wireless drivers'. add a new, find your .inf where its in the same dir as the .sys (dont bother moving it, it will copy automatically) and go set up specifics. you should get light from your wireless card at this point, if not...im not sure. try it out.

VS1
    Just Joined!

Bob,
    Thank you for the info. I got the Xubuntu recognized the card and drive installed.
    However, the light on the card is not on. I was wondering, if there setup that I have to do?