Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got a long thread in the forums over at mepis.org about this problem: http://www.mepis.org/node/11694 The link above lists in more details which programs I've tried, error messages and other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy WPA won't work: Belkin F5D7000 v5000 / Linksys WRT54G / MEPIS 6

I've got a long thread in the forums over at mepis.org about this problem:
    http://www.mepis.org/node/11694

The link above lists in more details which programs I've tried, error messages and other output I've gotten, etc.

But so far, no one over there has been able to figure it out and I've got a bruise on my forehead from banging my head against the wall.

Here are the pertinent details:

I have a Belkin F5D7000 Wireless G PCI card, v5000. I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I have an XP desktop, XP laptop, Mac OSX desktop and Mac OSX laptop, all connecting to this wireless router using WPA, without issue for almost a year now. I can not get the WPA working on the Belkin wireless card in MEPIS. I also have an ethernet card in the same box (I also dual boot it with XP) that connects to the router fine, so I have used that to run synaptix when needed. I have this same wireless card in my other XP desktop. I have tried everything I can find, other than compiling the driver myself, wpa_supplicant, wlassistant, mutilities, wifi-radar, kwifimanager, etc. It will get as far as saying it's connected to my network, and correctly identify the ssid (then again, it could just be reading that from my config file) but I can't connect to anything on the net. The DHCP doesn't seem to work, so I setup a static ip address, but it still doesn't work. I have upgraded to the latest firmware on the Linksys, which broke the DHCP to my mac's. If I turn the WPA off on my router and leave it wide open, then the wireless card works like a champ. But I won't leave my network wide open (I live in an apartment). I used to not broadcast my ssid, but I do now, trying to solve this problem. I also use MAC filtering, which I turned off, but it didn't make any difference either. I've narrowed it down to just the WPA problem.

I tried to setup the ndiswrapper using the driver from my Windows CD. The file was called BLKWGD.INF, not the rt2500.inf I've seen mentioned elsewhere, so I guess this card is a newer version, maybe a different chipset, I have no idea.

The bottom line is the card works, just not WPA. I just can't get it to work. Got any suggestions?

I have really pulled my hair out over this and am very frustrated. I really like MEPIS from what I have got to use so far, but I have got to have a solution. If anyone can help, I'd REALLY appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Just last week I tried helping a friend to setup a Belkin F5D7010 on Kubuntu. But from what we could gather, WPA doesn't and won't work. Someone else I know told us the same thing, that the card can work under linux (with ndiswrapper) but that we could forget about WPA.

Just Joined!
    Oh no. Surely not? If that is true, is it a problem with these particular cards or does WPA just not work in Mepis 6? Surely it would be a card problem. I was *really* hoping that I wouldn't have to buy a new card.

The problem is not with the cards themselves, but with Belkin's drivers for the cards. You can still try to get it to work, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. If you do go looking for a new card, get one with an Atheros chipset, I've heard good things about them (they use the Madwifi linux driver). I think Intel cards are also easy to setup, though you should check beforehand (do a search on google, I know there's a few sites which have to do with laptop-specific linux issues).

Just Joined!

Got it working!

I got it working, with WPA! Turns out it required the madwifi drivers in the Mepis config (wpa_supplicant). Once I changed the driver, it works like a champ. I had tried the madwifi drivers when I first started having these problems, but I must of had something else in one of my configs wrong at the time.

So anyway, I can confirm that the Belkin card do work.

O_o

Can you write out a bit more about what you did to get it working? Or at least which sites helped you?

Just Joined!
    Honestly, I posted this question on a couple of sites, didn't get it solved, posted on a couple more sites, no fix, posted on a couple more, etc. I don't remember which site it was where someone actually told me to try the madwifi drivers.

He gave me a couple of basic config files for wpa_supplicant, which were really no different than what I already had. I'm not on that machine right now, or I'd post mine, but it was just a standard, basic WPA config, I think the samples what come with wpa_supplicant would work. Then he told me to run wpa_supplicant again but use the madwifi drivers instead. The command for that is:

wpa_supplicant -Dmadwifi -iath0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

I ran that and it connected. Hope this helps.

It does, yes, thank you. If you get the chance, I'd love to see your wpa_suplicant