Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have a dwl-g520 rev b, i found a driver on the madwifi web site, i downloaded the driver on windows saved it to usb then brough it over ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless Card, Mandriva

Hi

I have a dwl-g520 rev b, i found a driver on the madwifi web site, i downloaded the driver on windows saved it to usb then brough it over to mandriva linux one 2007, now i am having trouble installing it, i was following these instructions http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/Fir...tallingMadWifi
    but when i would type in the make or make install commands in the terminal program it would not work, i am new to linux sooooo maybe i am doing something wrong i dunno,?? help would be appreciated, bcuz my wireless card is my only type of internet for that computer?

I think Mandriva is probably missing tools which you need in order to compile stuff by hand, stuff like gcc and make. Your best bet would be to find a .rpm package for the driver which you can then install with Mandriva's package manager. I myself used Ndiswrapper in Mandriva 2006 to configure a wireless card and it worked quite well. I don't remember the exact steps, basically you run the program to setup a new wireless connection and you get three choices (a 'recommended' driver, the option to use Ndiswrapper with a windows driver and also your own driver).

Ndiswrapper basically takes a driver made for windows and 'wraps' it so the Linux kernel can use it.

If you want to install the driver you already have (the madwifi one), you will have to first install the relevant packages to build it, though I'm not sure what these are in Mandriva (in Ubuntu, it's the 'build-essential' package).

Just Joined!
    eh thanks, helped fianlly got it the rigth driver, but now im connectiong to a network that is mine, i have strong signal buttt,, it says network is down on interface anth0.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Try 'ifconfig anth0 up' in the console as root.

Just Joined!
    yep, thanks alot, finally got it working

Great to hear that

Enjoy Linux.