Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
hmmmmm... thanks for all your help anyway. I'll try to find a program that will scan or something, and use downgrading as a last resort. Unless I can use ethernet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hmmmmm... thanks for all your help anyway.

I'll try to find a program that will scan or something, and use downgrading as a last resort. Unless I can use ethernet somehow.

It's just frusturating that Windows 2000 works with the card, but the latest Ubuntu won't. Also, I noticed that the LED indicator light is on, but I don't even know what is signifies (it's dark behind the comp). Unless there's something I'm missing...

I went to the card in the networking tool, and clicked "properties." I set the ESSID to PSPnet, but that's the SSID. (is there a difference?). I tried setting to DCHP and manually entering IP, DNS, etc. using information gathed through Windows. Is there something else I'm supposed to do before going online. I can't find anything that lists my wireless connections like it does in Windows, only lists the actual hardware devices. It seems like I'm missing a step...

Linux Newbie
    According to others preinstalled rt61 module broken - see here http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=296822 , success reported in edgy.
    Elive,kanotix-mini,pclinuxos super gamer,xp, sidux

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I'll try that out later today.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ok, everything went smoothly until:

vi -b rt61sta.dat
    At that point, I was just brought to a screen lined with dashe on the right, something like this:

-

-

-

-

-

-
    filling the whole terminal. When I try to enter my information, everything goes wierd... up, down, left, right, and enter produce seemingly random capital letters, o once I enter one peice of info, there is no way to go on to the next... sometimes it works a little better. What am I supposed to do at this step?

Linux Newbie
    Ok thats the vi text editor, don't use it myself so cant help - not sure what the "binary edit mode is" so cant advise how to edit the file with nano which I use. man vi in console or google for commands. Best I can do

not sure what you are drying to do there... but if you are getting a raw (empty file) like that... it probably means you are in the wrong directory...
    use "i" to put you into insert mode. then type. If you have to erase, you have to hit "esc" and then use "x" to delete what your cursor is over.

Just Joined!
    thanks, that helps a ton

I'm getting errors when I move on though, so I think now that I know what to do I'll start again from a clean install... (which I didn't start with before)

before I do that, when I dl something using wget where does it go? I can't actually use wget, since I'm not connected to the internet, so where should I put the file I manually download?

Linux Newbie
    Your home directory is as good a place as any.

try a clean Dapper install.. it really can't hurt......

Just Joined!
    I guess it can't, but I always like to have the latest software...
    of course, that means a big dl again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast