Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi to all on the forum, I am a new Linux user (installed kubuntu last night) and I am trying to get ndiswrapper installed so that I can get my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Install ndis wrapper, Ubuntu

Hi to all on the forum,

I am a new Linux user (installed kubuntu last night) and I am trying to get ndiswrapper installed so that I can get my Linksys WMP54G card working. I have already found the windows driver, but, even though the ubuntu docs say that it exists on the install, I cannot find the ndiswrapper utilities. I looked on the Adept package manager to load from the CD as suggested, but I seem to be only able to use web repositries, which I cannot use since I have no connection to the internet currently.

How do I get the ndiswrapper working on my machine??

tia
    Dave

pot your disc in and try running
    Code:
    sudo apt-cdrom add
    then run from the command line
    Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    only cdrom sources should be there.... also take a look at
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...e-command.html
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that info, I now have ndiswrapper installed

So I now did

Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
    and all seemed fine, so I did

Code:
     ndiswrapper -l
    and I got

Code:
     Installed ndis drivers:
    bcmwl5 Invalid driver!
    I got this driver from the Linksys website for the chipset of my wireless card as recommended on the ndiswrapper Wiki. Where do I go from here?

Dave

Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    I tried installing a Netgear card since that seems to be less problematic when I looked on the wiki. I have now managed to get the driver installed, tried to do the modprobe, and I got

Code:
    FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid argument
    As recommended in the ubuntu howto, i then looked at /var/log/messages and I got

Code:
    droseman@droseman-desktop:~/Downloads/wg311v3$ tail /var/log/messages
    Dec  8 23:59:40 droseman-desktop kernel: [17179644.140000] NTFS driver 2.1.27 [Flags: R/O MODULE].
    Dec  8 23:59:41 droseman-desktop kernel: [17179645.876000] NTFS volume version 3.1.
    Dec  8 23:59:50 droseman-desktop gconfd (droseman-4844): starting (version 2.16.0), pid 4844 user 'droseman'
    Dec  8 23:59:50 droseman-desktop gconfd (droseman-4844): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only conf                       iguration source at position 0
    Dec  8 23:59:50 droseman-desktop gconfd (droseman-4844): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/home/droseman/.gconf" to a writable configuration                        source at position 1
    Dec  8 23:59:50 droseman-desktop gconfd (droseman-4844): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only confi                       guration source at position 2
    Dec  8 23:59:50 droseman-desktop gconfd (droseman-4844): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/var/lib/gconf/debian.defaults" to a read-only conf                       iguration source at position 3
    Dec  8 23:59:50 droseman-desktop gconfd (droseman-4844): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/var/lib/gconf/defaults" to a read-only configurati                       on source at position 4
    Dec  9 00:18:54 droseman-desktop -- MARK --
    Dec  9 00:24:41 droseman-desktop kernel: [17181145.584000] ndiswrapper version 1.22 loaded (preempt=no,smp=yes)
    This is frustrating since I am so nearly there. Any ideas on where I can go from here?

Thanks
    Dave

Just Joined!

Smile now working

I found the answer - there is a bug with the version of ndiswrapper bundled with edgy, if you use ndiswrapper-utils-1.8, all works fine.

Still wont talk to my router, but thats a task for another day.

Thanks for all your help Vergil

Dave