Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear all, I have a generic Ralink RT61 WiFi card and I wish to install it on an AMD 64 with Suse 10.1. I downloaded the latest driver release from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ralink61 x86_64

Dear all,

I have a generic Ralink RT61 WiFi card and I wish to install it on an AMD 64 with Suse 10.1.

I downloaded the latest driver release from the Ralink website v1.1.0.0. It said that in the release notes it supports x64.

I followed the installation instructions. During the "#make all" step I had plenty of warnings, but no errors. I then loaded the module - so I thought with the insmod rt61.ko and ifconfig ra0 inet up followed by dhcpd ra0. When I ping a web address it comes up with host unknown.

I did edit the rt61sta.dat file and changed the SSID="the name of the router"; by the way is that case sensitive? Left everything else in rt61sta.dat alone.

When I do modprobe ra0 - it returns module does not exist. ifconfig only lists the local loopback. The green light is on at the back of the card and the orange LED occasionally flickers - if that helps?

Can anyone please help?

There are so many different types of instructions out there. Some require creating a directory called extra after the kernel directory?

Thanks
    Will

Just Joined!
    you have to put the command ifconfig ra0 inet [your ip] up
    and then you must configure it with iwconfig to set de ssid and channel settings etc.