Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've been struggling with my wireless on Debian (2.6.8-2-686) for the past few days. I've got the ndiswrapper ipw2100 driver installed but when I do iwconfig I get: lo ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wireless help, Debian

Hi, I've been struggling with my wireless on Debian (2.6.8-2-686) for the past few days. I've got the ndiswrapper ipw2100 driver installed but when I do iwconfig I get:

lo no wireless extensions

eth0 no wireless extensions

sit0 no wireless extensions

Shouldn't I be getting wlan0 or eth1 or something? My ieee80211 files are messed up by the old version and I can't figure that out, so that's why I'm not using the native driver. I've got eth1 listed in my /etc/network/interfaces, but that doesn't seem to do anything. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

PS My only knowledge of Debian is from spending hours on this problem, so I don't really know what's going on right now at all.

try running
    Code:
    modprobe ipw2100
    and see if you get anything
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply. When I did modprobe ipw2100, I got something about unrecognizable symbols which online forums suggested meant that I had old versions of the ieee80211 stuff installed. I couldn't figure out how to remove them so I switched to the ndiswrapper method, and I finally did end up getting it to work somehow (not really sure).