Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey I'm trying to get my Linksys WPC54GS (Broadcom chipset) to work on my laptop running kubuntu 5.10. When checking the list from the kubuntu website, It says that it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

bcm43xx help

Hey I'm trying to get my Linksys WPC54GS (Broadcom chipset) to work on my laptop running kubuntu 5.10. When checking the list from the kubuntu website, It says that it is supported by using this driver. And it sends me to this website

http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/

Can anyone give me a step by step idea of how to install this, I am a newbie and trying to learn, but with the wifi stuff I kinda jumped into the deep end with no floaties. Thanks for your help.

If you want to use the bcm43xx driver, you may be out of luck unless you're willing to compile a custom kernel. The bcm43xx module isn't enabled by default.

You can check whether you're lucky with this command:
    Code:
    ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx
    Note that those are backticks around uname -r, not single-quotes (backtick is on the ~ key).
    If that command shows you bcm43xx.ko, then you're lucky. Now you get to load the module (modprobe bcm43xx, as root), tweak your /etc/network/interfaces file as described on the bcm43xx Web site, and see if you can get your interface up and running. Or if you have network-manager, you just need to load the module.

If the .ko file isn't there, you may be better off using ndiswrapper.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!