Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I had referred to these forums before in regard to help with setting up wireless in suse 10.2 linux on a Dell 2200 Inspiron with built in broadcom wireless ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with Wireless setup

Hi,

I had referred to these forums before in regard to help with setting up wireless in suse 10.2 linux on a Dell 2200 Inspiron with built in broadcom wireless card (bcmwl5 driver).

I was able to connect earlier but not able to do so. I tried to reconfigure my wireless card by downloading ndiswrapper and going through the necessary steps. My driver is recognised, hardware is recognised and I am get something when I do iwconfig wlan0. I disconnect my eth connection but I am unable to go to any website using browsers. I tried to ping my router and it shows that packets were transferred. I also tried to ping another IP and it shows that packets were transferred successfully. I am not sure why I am unable to go to any website using my browsers.

I would greatly appreciate if anybody can help me out.

Thanks,

Vish

Is it possible that you do not have an IP address assigned to your computer?

Just Joined!
    Hi, I'm a total newbie with Ubuntu, I have downloaded the disk on my new computer, but I can't get on line. My wireless card is a Netgear 54 mbps. wireless adaptor, WG311 v3. I've been trying to figure it out but I'm alot computer illiterate. I have read that I'd have to download "ndiswrapper". But how do I do that since I can't get on line? Any help would be appreciated.
    Bluemanfu

Is it possible that you do not have an IP address assigned to your computer?
    I believe DNSs are the problem here, since you can ping other computers on your network, try to ping to 66.94.234.13 to confirm
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Quote Originally Posted by bluemanfu
    Hi, I'm a total newbie with Ubuntu, I have downloaded the disk on my new computer, but I can't get on line. My wireless card is a Netgear 54 mbps. wireless adaptor, WG311 v3. I've been trying to figure it out but I'm alot computer illiterate. I have read that I'd have to download "ndiswrapper". But how do I do that since I can't get on line? Any help would be appreciated.
    Bluemanfu
    Hi bluemanfu and welcome to the forums.
    It would make it easier for yourself and everyone else if you started your own thread here http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wireless-internet/
    And yes NDISWrapper is more than likely the file you need.
    More than likely, you need to download it on another computer and burn it to a disk if thats possible.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo
    I believe DNSs are the problem here, since you can ping other computers on your network, try to ping to 66.94.234.13 to confirm
    How do I find out what the ip add. is.
    I found ndiswrapper and downloaded it. Now what? Thanks for replying.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob
    Hi bluemanfu and welcome to the forums.
    It would make it easier for yourself and everyone else if you started your own thread here http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wireless-internet/
    And yes NDISWrapper is more than likely the file you need.
    More than likely, you need to download it on another computer and burn it to a disk if thats possible.
    I was born Ft.Worth,
    I did find ndiswrapper and downloaded it but now what?

I was born Ft.Worth.
    Cool Beans!
    I wasn't born here, I'm from San Antonio, but I got here as fast as I could. =-}
    After downloading ndiswrapper you need to extract it.
    Let's say you download it to /home/username/
    open a terminal and log in as root
    su - (hit enter, then enter root password)
    change to the correct directory
    cd /home/username
    unpack it
    tar -zxvf ndiswrapper-version.tar.gz
    cd to the newly created directory
    cd ndiswrapper-version
    then follow these instructions
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/m...n#Installation
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

Thanks for the info Mike. I'll try it as soon as our company leaves tomorrow. I still have relatives there in Haltom City and around. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    Gary