Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am very new to linux. Just got the latest Sabayon Linux. It shows it has a driver for the railink but when i click on it, it keeps saying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help with railink usb wireless adapter 2500

I am very new to linux. Just got the latest Sabayon Linux. It shows it has a driver for the railink but when i click on it, it keeps saying I dont have root privliges....

I dont know what that means and i have no idea how to get my wireless connection to work. what do i need to do?

I also have a new zyxel g-202 wireless adapter and cant get that one to work either.

I am a total noob to linux and so far Sabayon looks really cool and user friendly. Can anyone help? what does root privlige mean or can i get my zyxel adapter to work instead???

Thanks

Every linux computer has a special user account called the root account. The root account has full administration privileges and can do pretty much anything on your computer.

Now, I don't know much about Sabayon, but probably sometime during installation it asked you to type in a password for the root account. If not, it means Sabayon generated a random password for the root account, but you can access it through "sudoing."

Do you remember typing in a root password when installing?

Just Joined!
    yeah i got into the root finally cause i chose the password.

I still dont know how to get either of my wireless cards to work. I just want the internet to start working.

I dont know much command line stuff or what ndiswrapper all does, I need some basic step by step instructions.

I can get to a terminal but I need to know exactly how things are typed.

Thanks again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Start a command line and type iwconfig. This will display all of your wireless interfaces. Hopefully, your computer has the Rt2500 driver, and you will see a device something like ra0. If not, you will need to get it.

Don't use ndiswrapper. It will just make your life harder.