Find the answer to your Linux question:
Anyone know a way to see what wireless networks are available? I'm running ubuntu 6.10 right now, and i can connect fine if i know the network name before hand, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

How to find wireless networks available?

Anyone know a way to see what wireless networks are available? I'm running ubuntu 6.10 right now, and i can connect fine if i know the network name before hand, but would be helpful to be able to list the wireless networks in my area.

thanks!

Linux Enthusiast
    There are a few tools available, but the simplest (and always available) method is to open a shell and type in this command

Code:
    iwlist scan
    If you want to you can specify the network device after iwlist. Wifi radar does it with a nice gui, but I always prefer to work on the command line.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

I personally find that method a little laborious in day to day life - so I installed NetworkManager and nm-applet. It is really handy, shows all available networks, you can join any with one mouse click and it's also handy for setting up wired ethernet connections.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Cool, thanks guys. I tried out all of your suggestions. The command line tool is pretty useful- thanks! I will probably use mostly gui tools though unless they are too slow. I did have luck with wifi-radar, and that is what i use mostly now. I installed the gnome-network-manager, and it runs in my system tray, but the wierd thing is that is says "no network connection" even when i am connected to a wireless network. if i left-click it says "no network devices found".. i could not find any way to change the settings for it. Any ideas?

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hughitt1
    Anyone know a way to see what wireless networks are available? I'm running ubuntu 6.10 right now, and i can connect fine if i know the network name before hand, but would be helpful to be able to list the wireless networks in my area.

thanks!

<<hughitt1>> Using Ubuntu 6:10 Linux OS, is not like using a window OS that will allow you to view your various wireless network at range, Ubuntu also see various wireless connection at range but will not display it as Windows OS, when choosing the wireless network of your choice at Ubuntu wireless network connection dialog , scroll down there you will see other wireless network at range which your wireless card can sense. with this i think you have answer to your question.

kismet and ethereal are also good, but they already start encroaching on the realm of security auditing...
    All Empires rise and fall. The Microsoft Empire has already risen, only one way to go now...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hughitt1

thanks!

I'm using ubuntu 6.10 too. I'm just opposite of you! I know how to scan the WiFi around me by using "iwlist scan" and it shows the WiFi available at that time, but i'm having problem at connecting the WiFi. I don't know what command should i use in order to connect the WiFi. How did you connect it? What command did you use? And about the Network-Manager you guys talking, is it the one in Systems > Administration > Networking ?

As bigtomrodney mentions, the easiest solution is to install network-manager-gnome (reboot your machine when it's done). Then you won't have anything to worry about (given your wireless card drivers are installed).
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    As bigtomrodney mentions, the easiest solution is to install network-manager-gnome (reboot your machine when it's done). Then you won't have anything to worry about (given your wireless card drivers are installed).
    Okay, I did what you suggests. But it doesn't connect. When i left-click on the icon next to the clock at the upper bar, it only shows the word "Wired Connection" (blurred). It doesn't show the list of wireless connection even thought my router is on. By the way, i installed it by using .DEB file that i found in "packages.ubuntu.com" instead of ".tar.gz" because i don't know how to compile it. Does it matters? If i can scan and sees the available WiFi through "iwlist eth1 scan", does it mean my driver is working and it has no problem?