Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I just upgraded to fc6 on my desktop and I've been trying to figure out how to get my d-link dwl-122 wireless adapter to work. I've been googleing the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

d-link wireless card on fc6

Hey,

I just upgraded to fc6 on my desktop and I've been trying to figure out how to get my d-link dwl-122 wireless adapter to work.

I've been googleing the problem to death but, being a noob, not a whole lot makes sense to me. I've figured out that I can get a native rt2500 wirless driver from ralink but after I got it to install correctly(I think) nothing happened. Is there something else I have to do? Like I said, I'm confused.

After screwing around with that for a while I installed ndiswrapper and got the windows driver for my device but it just said 'netprism : driver installed' and still nothing worked.

I know this post is sort of vague but I'm not really sure what the problem is. Maybe if you could just point me to a howto. Or something.

Thanks.

what does iwconfig return?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Don't use ndiswrapper. Use the rt2x00 driver.

I googled and found a tutorial on how to do this under fc4 (should be the same for fc6) here's the link

I haven't tried to use this tutorial, so I hope it works.

EDIT: oddly enough, I am also trying to get this same card up and running on fedora 6. I followed the aforementioned tutorial, but I am getting some errors...

first, i installed the appropriate kernel-devel package with rpm -ivh. next, I put the rt2x00 source in /usr/src and cd'd into the Modules directory of rt2x00. i tried ./configure but there isn't one. so I tried make and got the following error:
    Code:
    make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build: No such file or directory. Stop
    rt2500.ko failed to build!
    make: *** [module] Error 1
    what have I done wrong?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    Don't use ndiswrapper. Use the rt2x00 driver.

I googled and found a tutorial on how to do this under fc4 (should be the same for fc6) here's the link

I haven't tried to use this tutorial, so I hope it works.

EDIT: oddly enough, I am also trying to get this same card up and running on fedora 6. I followed the aforementioned tutorial, but I am getting some errors...

first, i installed the appropriate kernel-devel package with rpm -ivh. next, I put the rt2x00 source in /usr/src and cd'd into the Modules directory of rt2x00. i tried ./configure but there isn't one. so I tried make and got the following error:
    Code:
    make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build: No such file or directory. Stop
    rt2500.ko failed to build!
    make: *** [module] Error 1
    what have I done wrong?
    I read somewhere that you have to change a script. Something about a change in the structure. Something like "config" had to be replaced with "autoconf", or something of that nature. I tried it myself, but it did not work. If this helps, then maybe you can pass on exactly what you did?

And as far as YUM, I can't run it until I get this wireless card up and running. I tried to run FC5, thinking that would alieviate my problems with the changes in FC6, and the CVS tarball comes a lot closer to running for me, but it won't find the build. I looked up the "build" link in /lib/modules/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5, and it points to "/usr/src/kernels/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5-i686" but that folder isn't there, and I installed EVERY development package for the kernel and kde when I re-setup FC5, so I don't know what I'm doint wrong, and why it's not there.

I went ahead and made the missing directories (kernels, and 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5-i686), and copied the /boot directory's contents to the folder referrenced by the "build" link. I did this, because as I was reading the binary from the kernel .rpm that I downloaded from redhat, that the kernel was "vmlinuz-whatever", and I found it under the boot folder, so I assumed that was the built and configured kernel. But after I did this, when I went to run "make" (builds the rt2500.ko) from the Module directory of the CVS tarball, it said "No Rule to make modules the target directory" or some erroneous bs, where as before it just said "failed to build rt2500.ko".

So, did I get the kernel in there, or did I screw something up?

If I can get the kernel to copy all of it's build information into the folder that the "build" link refers to, let me know how. I'm certainly sick of not being able to get to the internet except through Windows. And if it involves YUM, let me know how to do it without YUM, because I can't use YUM until the rt2500 is installed. A hard wired network is NOT an option. The router is in a location that is NOT easily accessable for this computer, and I don't have a 50 ft Cat5 cable to run to it.