Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
If I get a USB stick, will it work, will the store take it back simply cuz it doesnt work with linux?? Also can I ask them for one that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned
    By my Gat and [modded] PSP listening to Gangsta Rap

Guarateed to work??

If I get a USB stick, will it work, will the store take it back simply cuz it doesnt work with linux?? Also can I ask them for one that works with Windows and Linux, are there any that actaully say on the box they are compatible?????

Quote Originally Posted by realg187
    If I get a USB stick, will it work, will the store take it back simply cuz it doesnt work with linux?? Also can I ask them for one that works with Windows and Linux, are there any that actaully say on the box they are compatible?????
    Most USB thumbdrives work just fine in MS Windows and Linux both, but none that I'm aware of actually show "compatible with Linux" on the box. I've had good experiences with the PNY Attache (512MB) and the Memorex TravelDrive (1GB).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Banned
    i meant network thing not flash drive

The only real way to tell if it will work is to find out what chipset it has. Any card with a Ralink or Atheros chipset will work with linux.

I have a Dlink DWL-G122 ver. B1 with a Ralink chipset that works perfectly.

Banned
    Does it say that on the box??

probably not. you have to check online

Banned
    u think i can ask 4 help @ the store and if it dont work i can take it back. how do u know if it has one of da two??

My guess is that the folk at the store don't know a damn thing about Linux, or they'd be doing more than stocking shelves. The USB stick should come with drivers and they should be able to be installed with ndiswrapper. Ndiswrapper comes with USB support. It should work. If you do take it back, swap it for a PCI wireless card, there much more reliable.
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

If you want to know what kind of chipset your card has, just do a google search on the name of the card.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen
    My guess is that the folk at the store don't know a damn thing about Linux, or they'd be doing more than stocking shelves. The USB stick should come with drivers and they should be able to be installed with ndiswrapper. Ndiswrapper comes with USB support. It should work. If you do take it back, swap it for a PCI wireless card, there much more reliable.
    maybe i can ask sum1 who doest stack.. will they take it back? also have no pci slot left. used my lart one on my usb2.o card...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast