Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've gone through LOTS of posts looking - and I found out that my Motorola WU830G USB Wireless adapter isn't going to work. ------If I'm wrong, PLEASE point me to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question USB Wireless adapter, Ubuntu

I've gone through LOTS of posts looking - and I found out that my Motorola WU830G USB Wireless adapter isn't going to work.

------If I'm wrong, PLEASE point me to the n00bie instructions---------

But what I can't seem to find out is WHICH CHEAP (inexpensive) USB adapters WILL without using ndiswrapper. Do ANY come with LINUX drivers?? This is all taking me back to my OS/2 Wapr days - trying to get video drivers to work.....

Thanks, and I can't wait to get Ubuntu on the web!

esbaylus

Just Joined!
    OK, I've found

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...CardsSupported

but any recomendations - are the supported ones 'plug and play' ?

esbaylus

The main rule to follow is this: if it has an Atheros chipset, it will work out of the box. If it has a Ralink chipset, it can be made to work, but it will take a little effort.

For everything else, you're stuck messing with ndiswrapper.

Just Joined!

USB Wireless adapter, Ubuntu

I installed Ubuntu on an old Windows ME box but had trouble getting my Wireless USB Adapter to work, an older Compaq Ipaq brand. After doing a little research I found the following adapter on ebay for $11.00USD, shipping included, which worked out of the box. It seemed like such a good deal that I thought I would pass it along in case anyone else is having trouble getting wireless to work with Ubuntu.

Unfortunately the forum will NOT let me post a link directly to it on ebay, but it is ebay item number 300380704587 and is listed as a SMC EZ Connect WIRELESS USB 2.0 ADAPTER. The seller seems to have a bunch of them in stock.

Good luck!