Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having some BIG problems with KNetworkManager. My network card is usually recognized by default (RaLink RT2500 chipset). But, when I go into connect through KNetworkManager... it always gets ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with KNetworkManager

I am having some BIG problems with KNetworkManager.

My network card is usually recognized by default (RaLink RT2500 chipset). But, when I go into connect through KNetworkManager... it always gets to 28% (configuring device) and then it fails. It then brings up a config dialog for the wireless interface. This includes areas to fill in the "essid" of the network and the encryption. I choose the WEP Hex encryption, and enter the key. Then I try connect. Again, 28% and then it fails. The config dialog comes up again... but I notice that the encryption type has been changed to "Passphrase." No... I don't use a passphrase... i use a 64bit WEP Key! So, I choose WEP Hex again, enter my key, click connect. Again, 28% and it fails (this keeps going forever).

I have encountered KNetworkManager three times: In SUSE 10.1, in SUSE 10.2, and in Sabayon Linux 3.2 (DVD). In SUSE 10.1, I uninstalled it, and used KInternet... which worked perfectly! In SUSE 10.2... my card was recognized, but KNetworkManager wouldn't let me connect (same problem as above). However, when I used KInternet, it didn't work either. I think that was an issue of how it was configured by default by YaST. Anyways, in Sabayon 3.2 my card was again recognized, and Sabayon even has the RaLink RT2500 configuration utility (official one), and I tried connecting through there, which seemed to work (nice green lights everywhere, no errors). But for some reason, it didn't. I notice KNetworkManager is running, so I try through there (same errors as described at the beginning).

I see no reason why KNetworkManager doesn't let me connect! I doubt it is a driver issue, as I see that it is usually recognized correctly. As said before, my card is based on the RT2500 chipset, and is PCI interface. My encryption is 64 bit Wep Hex, and I know I type it in right Zunge raus . Please help me get these problems sorted out... Thanks!

Have you tried using a 0x (zero x) in front of the hex key?
    might or might not work.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Nope... I wish it had been that easy... But when I look at the choices for encryption... I see no choice for 64bit encryption. It is only 40/104 bit hex or 40/104bit ASCII. This is under Sabayon 3.2. Any other suggestions?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I guess you could try changing the WEP key to 40/104 hex.
    Or maybe use mac filtering via the router config page?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

The ultimate solution is to configure it manually from the command line using iwconfig. KNetworkManager is pretty much a piece of trash. I've never seen it work. (And, I should add, the network manager for gnome isn't much better)