Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi ALL, I've been unsuccessful at obtaining wlan connectivity. Using YaST, no wlan network card is available from the Suse 10 card selection will permit a wireless connection. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Suse 10 wlan problem

Hi ALL,

I've been unsuccessful at obtaining wlan connectivity.

Using YaST, no wlan network card is available from the Suse 10 card selection will permit a wireless connection. I have an HP Pavilion, zd8000. Searching the web led me to conclude that i needed to use ndiswrapper. As a linux newbie, i knew not what i was doing, but eventually downloaded, unzipped it, and even read some of the documentation on the ndiswrapper.sourceforge website.

I believe i'm using kernel 2.6.13 -15 within the /lib/modules/ directory. Also, within the /lib/modules/2.6.13-15-smp directory is a link (/usr/src/linux/2.6.13-15-obj/i386/smp).

On a different linux forum, directions were to execute a 'make uninstall', then 'make'. I did the former until no "removing" messages appear. However, when i execute the latter (within directory /ndiswrapper-1.32) i get the following:
    make -C driver
    make[1]: Entering directroy '/ndiswrapper-1.32/driver'
    Cant find kernel build files in /lib/modules/2.6.13-15-smp/build;
    give the path to kernel build directory with
    KBUILD=<path> argument to make
    make[1]: ***[prereq_check] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory ' /ndiswrapper-1.32/driver'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

Can someone help?

signed,

clueless in San Antonio

Install the kernel sources. Also, instead of compiling from source, you can use the ndiswrapper package provided on the SUSE install media.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

I'm ndiswrapper challenged

I guess i should have stated that i'm a linux nu-bee (see, i cant even spell it correctly). Anyway, after much trial and error (several hours of aggravation) and reading the posts to evilamigo's post, i have the following to report:

ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
    forcing parameter IBSSGMode from 0 to 2
    forcing parameter IBSSGMode from 0 to 2

ndiswrapper -l
    bcmwl5 driver installed

ndiswrapper -m
    module configuration already contains alias directive

modprobe ndiswrapper
    FATAL could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.13-15-smp/extra/ndiswrapper.ko' : No such file or directory

Can someone tell me how to proceed from here? Thanks!

You're doing a modprobe for no reason. "ndiswrapper -l" says driver installed but does not say hardware present. Where did you get the .inf file from?
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

Just Joined!
    I cant find the website now, but it took a while to locate a site that had the bcmwl5.inf file. My notebook (within the Windows environment) only has the .sys file.

Just Joined!
    Finally used my head and viewed my browser history.

I found the bcmwl5.inf file. via a zip file from within this site http://www.overclock.net/faqs/106021...802-11b-g.html (ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/note...iver/802bg.zip)

What was strange (at least for novice) was that when i unzipped the file from /ndiswrapper directory, the extraccted files from 802bg.zip ended up in my /windows directory. Why?

Another thread from a different forum indicated that my problem is the lack of the ndiswrapper.ko file in the correct directory. I searched my sysstem and couldnt' find it. Any ideas on where to go from here?

FYI, I downloaded the ndiswrapper-1.32.tar file from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper.

Is there not a .inf file on the CD?

Also remember you need to have more than just the inf file present, there may be *.sys or other such files which are required by ndiswrapper. I think the best place to get the driver would be directly from Broadcom's site.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    To recap:
    I downloaded ndiswrapper from the sourceforge website when i initially started this effort. I think i've followed the steps advised.

The ftp site i referenced provided the zip file containing both .sys and .inf files. I think i'm good in this area.

The problem: The lack of ndiswrapper.ko in the /lib directory is now the challenge, not the .sys and .inf file.

I've read that maybe the ndiswrapper driver kernel module is the problem. Any ideas on how else i can get the ndiswrapper.ko file?

Thanks again all.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    Also remember you need to have more than just the inf file present, there may be *.sys or other such files which are required by ndiswrapper. I think the best place to get the driver would be directly from Broadcom's site.
    No, ndiswrapper throws a hissy fit about that when you run "nidswrapper -i /path/to/file.inf" not when doing modprobe.

The problem is you've got the wrong .inf file, ndiswrapper DOESN'T SAY HARDWARE PRESENT. This is what my ndiswrapper says.

Code:
    root@lightside:~# ndiswrapper -l
    Installed drivers:
    bcmwl5          driver installed, hardware present
    Get the .inf file and .sys file from the driver CD.