Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just installed fedora core 6. I previously had fedora 5 installed and through a lot of tinkering got my wifi card working on that. I can't seem to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question Fedora 6 Madwifi

Hi, I just installed fedora core 6. I previously had fedora 5 installed and through a lot of tinkering got my wifi card working on that. I can't seem to get my wireless card working in fedora core 6, but I know that it should be possible since I had it working in core 5. Its an atheros chipset, so I used madwifi last time. I've already installed madwifi through yum, but when I run ifconfig -a, it doesn't list my card or anything. When I was running core 5 it showed up as ath0. Any help would be much appreciated, I love fedora 6, and don't want to have to re-install core 5 over it just to get my wifi working again.

First of all, is the module loaded? What is the output of typing the following in a terminal?
    Code:
    lsmod | grep ath_pci

Linux Newbie

ok what next

Okay, I just tried lsmod | grep ath_pci, and got no results, so I guess the module isn't loaded, whats next?

Linux Newbie

I aslo tried...

I aslo entered in: depmod -a. Then modprobe ath_pci, but when I entered modprobe ath_pci, I got an error message saying FATAL: Module ath_pci not found.

oz
    forum.guy
    hello, infinet_e

I've deleted your duplicate threads as it's against the forum rules to post the same topic in multiple forums. You can continue your discussion in this thread.

ozar
    oz

That is very odd. Are you absolutely sure you installed madwifi via yum?

Linux Newbie

yep

yeah positive, what do you think I should do now?

Alright...I was googling around and I think I've got the answer to your problem (no guarantees).

Apparently there is some bug in Fedora 6 where the installer will install the wrong architecture, i586 instead of i686.

Here is a link that tells you how to fix that.

After following those instructions, try to reinstall madwifi with yum...it should work...