Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What Atheros Card Do I Have?

So the situation is this: I can't get madwifi to work for me, for whatever reason. It installs and runs, but it has trouble configuring my card. I've tried it several times, to no avail. I think that the problem may have something to do with the fact that I'm running a 64-bit distro (Sabayon MiniEdition, it's really Gentoo). So I want to try ndiswrapper, but I need to find a 64-bit driver for my card. Ok, now I need to know what card I have. That's the problem. How do I figure out exactly what Atheros card I have? I haven't been able to figure it out from any of my computer's original documentation (it's an Alienware Aurora m9700 laptop). Are there any utilities that will tell me or do I have to take my computer apart and read it off the chip?

EDIT: I just found my invoice for the computer, via the AW website. Apparently it's a Wistron NeWeb card, not an Atheros. Weird, but ok.
    FURTHER EDIT: The card is WNC CM9. To quote a reseller's website, "This card is using the Atheros 5004 chipset with the 5213 as main chip." The card is listed as working on the mad-wifi site. So, with that in mind, what should I do?

Thanks
    Mike

Let's try with the madwifi driver again. Do this
    Code:
    modprobe -r ath_pci
    modprobe ath_pci
    dmesg | tail
    Post all the output here
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Linux User
    >...what...card do I have?

try "lspci -v |more" to see plenty info: two 'v's more yet

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You could also try:
    Code:
    lspci | grep Wireless
    or
    Code:
    lspci | grep Atheros
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

I give up on wireless in suse 10.2

Hello, I have been trying for weeks to get my wifi card Netgear (atheros based) to work. It has not yet. Does anyone know of a service that can make my laptop (dell lattitude) work with linux and wifi? I have spent a lot of time on the forum and folllowing tutuorials. I'll pay.

Netgear has linux drivers for some of their products. Have you checked their website?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.