Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been trying to get my wireless card to work with fc6 for the last few days. I tried the rpm from the madwifi site and it fives me this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dwl-g520 madwifi troubles

I've been trying to get my wireless card to work with fc6 for the last few days. I tried the rpm from the madwifi site and it fives me this error:

Missing Dependency: madwifi-kmdl-1:0.9.3-31_r1865.fc6.at is needed by package madwifi

Google doesn't seem to know anything about that one. I there seems to be packages for x_86_64 and everything but i386 (which as far as I know is what I'm using. Does someone know how to check that?)

So, I've tried compiling it from the source and it gives me this error:

/bin/sh: line 0: cd: /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6/build: No such file or directory
    Makefile.inc:89: *** /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6/build is missing, please set KERNELPATH. Stop.

That's kind of where I'm at right now. Any help would be great. Thanks

I'm not a linux guru, but I think your problem is that you need the kernel headers. I think you need these in order to make the madwifi kernel module.

Just Joined!
    So, I've been thinking that the problem is that I don't have the source and the headers for my kernel. Then that brings up the question of how to get them. I'm not sure of how to get them or where to put them or where to point the KERNELPATH.

Just Joined!
    I just looked around for a minute and found yum install kernel-devel which I think installed the source and headers for me? There's some new stuff in usr/src/ , namely a kernel folder with what appears to be a kernel file in it? When I try to compile it gives the same error. If I try to manually set the kernel path KERNELPATH=/usr/src it gives this error:

[root@localhost madwifi-0.9.2.1]# make KERNELPATH=/usr/src/
    ./kernelversion.c:13:30: error: linux/utsrelease.h: No such file or directory
    Makefile.inc:113: *** KERNELCONF: /usr/src//.config does not exist.. Stop.

this is the same error I got when I pointed it anywhere else before I installed kernel-devel. I think I'm just pointing it to the wrong place. Any help?

Just Joined!

Smile ndiswrapper

I tried the approach you are taking but gave up. I can't even get the kernel to compile in any Fedora installation?? Not sure what is wrong here. I downloaded
    ndiswrapper and the windows drivers for the card though and all seems well.

To install kernel sources in Fedora try these steps.
    CLICK HERE! =-}
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I tried the approach you are taking but gave up. I can't even get the kernel to compile in any Fedora installation?? Not sure what is wrong here. I downloaded
    ndiswrapper and the windows drivers for the card though and all seems well.
    You don't need ndiswrapper with Atheros cards
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob
    To install kernel sources in Fedora try these steps.
    CLICK HERE! =-}

Ok, I followed those instructions and everything went fine. So, I'm pretty sure I've got the kernel source. The problem now is that I'm still not sure what to set my KERNELPATH to. It's still giving me the same errors. If I tell it to make without specifying the KERNELPATH it still gives me this:

/bin/sh: line 0: cd: /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6/build: No such file or directory
    Makefile.inc:89: *** /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6/build is missing, please set KERNELPATH. Stop.

and no matter what I set the KERNELPATH to it gives me this sort of thing:

[root@localhost madwifi-0.9.2.1]# make KERNELPATH=/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/
    ./kernelversion.c:13:30: error: linux/utsrelease.h: No such file or directory
    Makefile.inc:113: *** KERNELCONF: /usr/src/redhat/BUILD//.config does not exist.. Stop.

I'm assuming I just don't know where to point it to. Where should it be pointing to?

Could you post the output from this command:
    Code:
    ls -l /usr/src/linux
    it may just be that the symlink to the kernel source isn't set up properly.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

You need to add the kernel version to that command, like this:
    make KERNELPATH=/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/2.6.18-1.2869.fc6
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast