Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all I must really apologise for this post. I promised myself I wouldn't post on forums with problems this noobish, but I'm all googled out! I'm attempting to get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy D-Link DWL-G510 Load command not found. Please help

Hi all

I must really apologise for this post. I promised myself I wouldn't post on forums with problems this noobish, but I'm all googled out!

I'm attempting to get my PCI Wireless card working on Mandriva 2007, its a D-Link DWL-G510 and I have the Railink RT61 drivers which are apparently native Linux drivers for that card.

Now I don't know much about the workings of Linux, so I can only use basic commands in bash without having it completely spelled out (and even then, I don't know what it will do). I've been working through the readme and have got to the last step which says:

$load
    # $/sbin/insmod rt61.ko
    # $/sbin/ifconfig ra0 inet YOUR_IP up

I type in "load" as root and it says command not found. I've no idea what to do next! I've searched Google and forums and cant find an answer. I know this isn't a problem, it's just me not understanding what's going on, but if someone could please point me in the right direction it would be a great help. Not having internet on my Linux boot is the only thing stopping me from booting into XP, opening a DOS prompt and typing "format C:"

Also, an another little thing, where it says YOUR_IP, would that be my IP on the network (192.168.0.2) or my IP on the internet which is, well, something completely different.

I would really appreciate it if someone could lend a hand. Thanks

Is there anyone who can help me? I am really at my wits end and need to try and get internet on my Linux box.

I've also tried using the built in ndiswrapper gui with Mandriva 2007 and getting errors with the windows driver. Says there is no hardware that use the driver installed, but I know there is cause I'm using it on Windoze fine.

Any assistance at all would be greatly appreciated as I've spent ages trawling google and forums and I cant find a solution.

First of all, skip that "load" thing. I don't know what they're talking about. I would first try to type (as root)

modprobe rt61
    This should load the driver for your card.

Secondly, YOUR_IP should be replaced with your computer's ip on your local network--unless it is assigned automatically with dhcp.

If it is, just leave the "inet YOUR_IP" part out.

Hi, Thanks for your help

I went through all the set up until I got to that stage, input modprobe rt61 and received:

Code:
    [root@localhost Module]# modprobe rt61
    FATAL: Module rt61 not found.
    I also had a look at load and it is actually a file in the directory containing:

Code:
    # $/sbin/insmod rt61.ko
    # $/sbin/ifconfig ra0 inet 192.168.2.234 up
    The first line imputed fine as far as I can tell, but the second gives me:

Code:
    [root@localhost Module]# /sbin/ifconfig ra0 inet 192.168.2.234 up
    Killed
    [root@localhost Module]#
    Message from syslogd@localhost at Sun Jan 28 18:47:14 2007 ...
    localhost kernel: Oops: 0000 [1] SMP

Message from syslogd@localhost at Sun Jan 28 18:47:14 2007 ...
    localhost kernel: CR2: 0000000010093000
    After that, no BASH commands seem to do anything, except for halt

Any chance you know what's going on? Ive had Linux on my computer for months and not being able to get internet on it is the only reason its not my main, if not only OS. I love just about every other aspect of the system but am very anxious about getting this sorted. Any insight or help you could lend would be greatly appreciated.

The fact that nothing showed up after the insmod rt61.ko is a good sign. It means the module loaded successfully.

As for the second part, how do you obtain an ip address? Most people obtain it from dhcp, which means that that second command should not be used.

Try this as root:

/sbin/ifconfig ra0 up
    /sbin/dhclient ra0
    If it says something like "not found" when you type in the second one, cut out the /sbin/ part.

Hi. thanks for your perseverance, this is what I got:

Code:
    [root@localhost Module]# /sbin/insmod rt61.ko
    [root@localhost Module]# /sbin/ifconfig ra0 up
    Killed
    [root@localhost Module]#
    Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Jan 30 20:18:31 2007 ...

Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Jan 30 20:18:31 2007 ...
    That line is making it go crazy, couldn't even get to the dhcp bit. In answer to your IP question, that wasn't what I thought my IP was but it was in the load script file step 7 was trying to run.

it doesn't seem to want to get past this, do you have any ideas? is there something else I should have installed? Its a completely clean system, just formatted the other day (again) and all I've put on extra is kernel source, graphics driver and dos2unix (needed for an earlier step). I hope I can get this going, the only reason I bought that card is because it had native Linux drivers :S

Okay, I think I understand. You have been running a script, not typing in all the commands manually. What you need to do is stop using the script and do it manually.

First type

lsmod |grep rt61
    You should get some output. If you do, it means the module is loaded. It should be loaded because you have been running that script.

Next, follow the directions in my previous post.

Hi

No, I haven't been running the script, I looked in the file to see what was in there, but I've been running the commands manually. I tried it with the IP that was in the script and without as you previously mentioned (and with the IP I thought I had from my Windoze boot [192.168.0.2]).

I shall try the lsmod |grep rt61 tonight when I get home to compy and see how it goes.

Do I have to keep loading the module with /sbin/insmod rt61.ko every time as I'm restarting, or will it stay in there?

Hi there. I tried what you suggested and got this output:

Code:
    [root@localhost Module]# lsmod |grep rt61
    rt61                  241408  0

[root@localhost Module]# /sbin/ifconfig ra0 up
    Killed
    [root@localhost Module]#
    Message from syslogd@localhost at Wed Jan 31 18:27:59 2007 ...

Message from syslogd@localhost at Wed Jan 31 18:27:59 2007 ...
    I got some kind of output from lsmod |grep, although, I have no idea if that was what it was meant to say. Then I got the usual output from ifconfig. I've no idea what should have happened or what that means, but it said "killed", so I'm assuming something failed to work.

I did however try the next step anyway, incase that wasn't as bad an error as I thought it was and got:

Code:
    [root@localhost Module]# /sbin/dhclient ra0
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.4
    Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
    Once again, I don't really know what it was meant to say, so don't know whether or not that was good. I do know it didn't then give me [root@localhost Module]# so that I could input any more commands.

Do you have any more ideas on what may be happening or how to fix it and get internet up?

First off, I should have explained the whole lsmod | grep rt61 thing. lsmod is a command that lists all loaded modules in standard output. the | pipes the standard output into the standard input of the command grep, which looked for the text rt61, which it then printed to standard output.

In other words, yes, the module is loaded. You should probably add rt61 to the end of the /etc/modules.conf file, so this module is loaded upon starting up your computer.

As for the ifconfig ra0 up thing, I don't understand the "killed" thing. I am at a loss. Try typing just /sbin/ifconfig at the command line. If you see an entry with ra0 in it, you don't need to type /sbin/ifconfig ra0 up.

When you typed dhclient, and you got that output, did it give you a prompt again? If not, try just waiting a little bit. Usually more text comes up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast